categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Codensity and the ultrafilter monad
@ 2011-06-10  1:04 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-06-10  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Leinster, categories

Tom Leinster <Tom.Leinster@glasgow.ac.uk> wrote, in part:

> The codensity monad of the inclusion FinSet --> Set is the ultrafilter
> monad.  This seems a rather basic fact, but I've been unable to find it  in
> the literature.  I'd be grateful if someone could tell me a reference.

I can't be certain, but I can easily imagine Oswald Wyler or
Ernie Manes having noticed that fact in the dim, dark, distant past.
Perhaps Ernie will chime in :-) .

HTH. Cheers, -- Fred

* Re: Codensity and the ultrafilter monad
@ 2011-06-13  1:28   ` Tom Leinster
From: Tom Leinster @ 2011-06-13  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

A few days ago, I asked where in the literature I could find the fact that
the codensity monad of the inclusion FinSet --> Set is the ultrafilter
monad.  Michel Hebert replied:

> This appears as exercise 3.2.12(e) in Manes' book (Algebraic Theories).  The
> references there are Lawvere's thesis and Linton's 1966, but I don't know
> if this part of the exercise is solved or mentioned explicitly there.

Thanks very much, Michel.  The references to Lawvere's thesis (Section
III, Theorem 2) and Linton's 1966 La Jolla paper (Section 2) seem to be
general references for the structure-semantics adjunction, which is what
the earlier parts of the exercise are about.  The word "ultrafilter" does
not appear in either Lawvere or Linton.

So I currently believe that Manes was the first to publish this fact.  If
someone knows better (perhaps Bill, Fred, Anders Kock or Myles Tierney), I
hope they will let me know.

(I suspect that John Isbell would have known it, at some level, when he
wrote his 1960 paper "Adequate subcategories", even though the language of
monads wasn't available then.  But I haven't found it mentioned in his
words; Manes's exercise is the only written reference to this fact that I
know of.)

Incidentally, I've learned how many names the codensity monad has had
through history: it has also been called the model-induced monad/triple
(e.g. by Appelgate and Tierney), the coadequacy monad/triple (e.g. by
Lawvere), and the algebraic completion (e.g. by Manes).

Thanks to all who replied.

Best wishes,
Tom

@ 2011-06-10  8:19 ` Michel Hebert
From: Michel Hebert @ 2011-06-10  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Michel

Hi Tom,

This appears as exercise 3.2.12(e) in Manes' book (Algebraic Theories). The
references there are Lawvere's thesis and Linton's 1966, but I don't know
if this part of the exercise is solved or mentioned explicitly there.
Best regards,
Michel

@ 2011-06-09 22:25 Tom Leinster