categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Codensity and the ultrafilter monad
@ 2011-06-10  1:04 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-06-10  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Leinster, categories

Tom Leinster <Tom.Leinster@glasgow.ac.uk> wrote, in part:

> The codensity monad of the inclusion FinSet --> Set is the ultrafilter
> monad.  This seems a rather basic fact, but I've been unable to find it  in
> the literature.  I'd be grateful if someone could tell me a reference.

I can't be certain, but I can easily imagine Oswald Wyler or
Ernie Manes having noticed that fact in the dim, dark, distant past.
Perhaps Ernie will chime in :-) .

HTH. Cheers, -- Fred

* Codensity and the ultrafilter monad
@ 2011-06-09 22:25 Tom Leinster
From: Tom Leinster @ 2011-06-09 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

Any functor from a small category A to a complete category E induces a
contravariant adjunction between E and Set^A.  This in turn induces a
monad on E, the "codensity monad" of the functor.

(The construction of the adjunction is better known in its dual form,
starting with a functor from a small category to a COcomplete category.
For example, the usual functor from Delta into Top induces the usual
adjunction between topological spaces and simplicial sets.)

The codensity monad of the inclusion FinSet --> Set is the ultrafilter
monad.  This seems a rather basic fact, but I've been unable to find it in
the literature.  I'd be grateful if someone could tell me a reference.

(I'm aware of the 1987 paper by Reinhard Börger giving a different but
related characterization of the ultrafilter monad.)

Thanks,
Tom