categories - Category Theory list
From: "André Joyal" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE:  size_question_encore
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:21:19 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Marta,

I thank you for your message and for drawing my attention to your work.
I apologise for not having refered to it.

  >More recently (Bunge-Hermida, MakkaiFest, 2011), we have carried out
the 2-analogue of the 1-dimensional
  >case along the same lines of the 1979 papers, by constructing the 2-
stack completion of a 2-gerbe in "exactly the same way". >Concerning
this, I have a question for you. Is there a model structure on 2-
Cat(S) (or 2-Gerbes(S)), for S a Grothedieck topos, >whose weak
equivalences are the weak 2-equivalence 2-functors, and whose fibrant
objects are precisely the (strong) 2-stacks? >Although not needed for
our work, the question came up naturally after your paper with Myles
Tierney. We could find no such >construction in the literature.

I guess you are thinking of having the analog of Steve Lack's model
structure
but for the category of 2-categories internal to a Grothendieck topos S.
That is a good question. I am not aware that this has been done (but
my knowledge of the litterature is lacunary).
You may also want to establish the analog of Moerdijk's model
structure for the category of internal 2-groupoids.
I am confident that these model structure exists.
They should be closely related to a model structure on internal
simplicial groupoids
<A.Joyal, M.Tierney: Classifying spaces for sheaves of simplicial
groupoids, JPAA, Vol 89, 1993>.
And also related to the model structure on simplicial sheaves,
described in my letter
to Grothendieck in 1984, but unfortunately not formally published.

Best regards,
Andre