categories - Category Theory list
From: Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com>
To: Mike Shulman <mshulman@ucsd.edu>
Cc: David Roberts <david.roberts@adelaide.edu.au>,
	<joyal.andre@uqam.ca>,	<categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: stacks (was: size_question_encore)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:56:27 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Mike,

As for stacks being the primary motivation Makkai had for anafunctors, that is not the impression I got from people attending his course, as they not only expressed interest in this comment of mine, but also someone suggested reducing the theory of stacks to that of anafunctors. In fact, I was told by another that the introduction of anafunctors was quite different  from that of stacks, as it had more to do with expressing anafunctors in  FOLDS. Since you are interested in this, why don't you try getting it directly from the horse's mouth?

The answer to your other question (Are there any interesting non-Grothendieck elementary toposes whichare known to satisfy the axiom of stack completions?) is still open. Bob Pare and I investigated this question a long time ago (more than 30 years ago, actually) and in our attempts to formulate  this axiom, all we could say was that every Grothedieck topos satisfied it. I forgot to mention that an elementary formulation of ASC ("axiom of stack completions") is till missing. All I mean by it at the moment is that it holds for an elementary topos S if, for any category C in S, the stack completion \tilde([C]) of the fibration [C] over S which is the externalization of C, which is explicilty constructed, is equivalent to the externalization [\tilde(C)] of a category \tilde(C) in S.

Regards,Marta