categories - Category Theory list
* Aurelio
@ 2012-12-12 15:40 Matias Menni
From: Matias Menni @ 2012-12-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I was not exactly a friend of Aurelio, but I will remember his support, his
peculiar kindness and, as many others, also his talent and humour.

--

I non ero esattamente un amico di Aurelio, ma ricorderò il suo appoggio, la
sua particolare gentilezza e, come tanti altri, anche il suo talento e

Matías Menni

* Re: Aurelio
@ 2012-12-16  9:37 ` pedicchi
From: pedicchi @ 2012-12-16  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: F William Lawvere; +Cc: categories

Dear friends,

I am terribly sad and will miss Aurelio a lot.

   The time we spent together was extraordinary and unforgettable!!

cristina

F William Lawvere <wlawvere@buffalo.edu> ha scritto:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are so very sad that Aurelio is so unexpectedly
> gone. We will sorely miss his unique contributions to
> our community.
>
> It seems only yesterday (but actually it is 40 years)
> since he, in Perugia, started to teach me his unique
> Italian with the same enthusiasm that he applied to
> learning category theory. I never ceased to admire
> his quick grasp of mathematics, and his clear perception
> of situations and characters.
>
> My life (like the lives of many of us) was enriched
> by his commentaries both wry and profound, yet
> full of humor and kindness and warmth.
>
> As all the friends, I am deeply distressed at saying
> goodbye to Aurelio.
>

> Bill
>

> [For admin and other information see: http://www.mta.ca/~cat-dist/ ]

* Aurelio
@ 2012-12-13  2:23 Tierney, Myles
From: Tierney, Myles @ 2012-12-13  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

It's true Aurelio is really a big loss, and we
will all miss him. He was a wonderful
person with a great sense of humour,
and a fine category theorist. He was unique.

Myles Tierney

* Aurelio
@ 2012-12-12 15:23 pare
From: pare @ 2012-12-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I worked with Aurelio in Milan for a month, about twenty years ago. The
routine was that I would come in in the morning and try to understand what
he had told me the day before, he would come rushing in just before lunch,
we would go and eat, then do some work, go for an espresso, do more work,
then go for drinks and supper. The next day the same thing. His own
special method of proof is summed up in his phrase "What else could be?"
It worked well!

It was a wonderful time and I'm very sad I won't see him again.

Bob

* Aurelio
@ 2012-12-12  0:05 F William Lawvere