categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Deligne on Grothendieck
       [not found] <510989E8.9070307@dm.uba.ar>
@ 2013-02-01  1:53 ` Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2013-02-01  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

I make some presicions on my previous posting:

go to the link,

https://simonsfoundation.org/category/features/science-lives/

click on deligne photo, then click BIO AND PHOTOS, then read there.

My posting should be read more accurately as follows:

I have not see the interview of Deligne by MacPherson in the link above,
but I read in that link the comments of Munford and Tate on the
mathematics of Deligne as opposed to the mathematics of Grothendieck,
comments that also apply (if you want) to the mathematics of Serre as
opposed to the mathematics of Grothendieck.

Then Serre says that Deligne is best.

It is interesting to notice that when  describing the characteristics
and virtues of Deligne's mathematics Munford and Tate could be
just describing  the characteristics and virtues of Serre's mathematics.
Clearly Deligne's and Serre's mathematics are similar in those aspects
and different to Grothendieck's. In putting Deligne's mathematics at the
top, Serre is just putting his own mathematics at the top.

From: David Espinosa @ 2013-02-01  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo J. Dubuc; +Cc: categories

(1) Please re-read.  I think the comments you're referring to are from
Mumford, not Serre.

(2) It's only natural that each mathematician prefers his/her own style --
I do mathematics the way I like it to be done.  The same brain is both
generator and recognizer.  I find my own jokes funny for exactly the same
reason!

       [not found] ` <CAOzx82p8A2L+=4X8wOnLggjoYDW5fqHwy77Fry2EcuBu3p770w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-01-31 22:20   ` Colin McLarty
From: Colin McLarty @ 2013-01-31 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Eduardo,

I guess you meant the comments of Serre quoted along with Mumford,
Tate, and Arkani-Hamed in the note by Siobhan Roberts.  (The note is
at simonsfoundation.org/science_lives_bio/pierre-deligne/)

Colin

@ 2013-01-30 21:00 ` Eduardo J. Dubuc
       [not found] ` <CAOzx82p8A2L+=4X8wOnLggjoYDW5fqHwy77Fry2EcuBu3p770w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2013-01-30 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Joyal, André"; +Cc: categories

On 29/01/13 09:08, Joyal, Andr? wrote:
> An interview of Deligne by MacPherson:
>

> https://simonsfoundation.org/category/features/science-lives/

I have not see the interview of Deligne by MacPherson in the link above,
but I read in that link the comments of Serre on the mathematics of
Deligne as opposed to the mathematics of Grothendieck, and his
conclusion that Deligne is best. It is interesting to notice that when
describing the characteristics and virtues of Deligne's mathematics he
is just describing  the characteristics and virtues of his own
mathematics. Clearly Deligne's and Serre's mathematics are similar and
different to Grothendieck's. In putting Deligne's mathematics at the
top, Serre is just putting his own mathematics at the top.

* Deligne on Grothendieck
@ 2013-01-29 12:08 Joyal, André
       [not found] ` <CAOzx82p8A2L+=4X8wOnLggjoYDW5fqHwy77Fry2EcuBu3p770w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Joyal, André @ 2013-01-29 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)