categories - Category Theory list
* Is the category of group actions LCCC?
@ 2014-09-01  9:12 Timothy Revell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Timothy Revell @ 2014-09-01  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear All,

I'm wondering whether the category of ALL group actions is locally
Cartesian closed. This is NOT the functor category [G,Set] for some
category G with one object, since we allow G to vary. To be more
specific the category is as follows.

  - The objects are pairs (G,X), where G is a group and X is a G-Set.

  - A morphism (G,X) -> (G', X') is given by a pair (h,f), where h:G->G'
is a group homomorphism and f: X -> X' is a function (a morphism in Set)
such that for all  g in G, x in X

    h(g) * f(x) = f(g * x)

where * on the left denotes the group action of G' on X' and * on the
right denotes the group action of G on X.

All the best,
Tim

--
Timothy Revell,
Department of Computer and Information Sciences,

* Re: Is the category of group actions LCCC?
@ 2014-09-06  7:47 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2014-09-06  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Timothy Revell

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:28:21 PM EDT, Timothy Revell
<timothy.revell@strath.ac.uk> asked:

> I'm wondering whether the category of ALL group actions is locally
> Cartesian closed. ...

Borrowing ideas from several earlier followups to this question, I might
suggest the following as a quick and easy argument for a negative answer:

1) an initial object in that "category of ALL group actions" is given
by the trivial group's action on the empty set, ({e}, 0);

2) the slice of that category over ({e}, 0) "is" just the category Grp
of groups and group homomorphisms (well, really, it's the full subcategory
of ALL group actions on the empty set :-) but that's essentially just Grp);

3) the category of group actions is no more a LCCC than Grp is a CCC.

Or have I overlooked some obvious fly in my proposed ointment :-) ?

Cheers, -- Fred Linton