categories - Category Theory list
From: Robert Pare <R.Pare@Dal.Ca>
To: "<categories@mta.ca>" <categories@mta.ca>
Cc: Heide Schumacher <heide.schumacher@gmail.com>
Subject: Dietmar Schumacher
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 19:16:40 +0000	[thread overview]

It is with great sadness that I announce that my longtime friend and collaborator,
Dietmar Schumacher, died on Wednesday September 17, 2014, of a massive stroke.

It was in 1971, when he took up his position at Acadia University, that he left a note
on my office door introducing himself and suggesting we meet to discuss category
theory. We did and that was the start of our long collaboration. We also started, in 1972,
the category seminar which still runs today, 42 years later. For many years  he would drive
the 100 kms from Wolfville every week to attend the seminar, and drive back  afterwards.
He would sometimes speak in the seminar or, if not, stimulated discussion with his penetrating
questions. The last few years, he came less often as he found the drive tiring, but invariably
he would read up on the topic of the week and always emailed me a question or two about it.
He kept up his interest in category theory until the end. He came to the first seminar this year,
just two weeks ago, looking strong and fit as ever.

We'll miss his wry sense of humour. His way of apologizing for some little thing, and then
apologizing for apologizing.

Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

Bob