categories - Category Theory list
From: Ross Street <ross.street@mq.edu.au>
To: Robert Pare <R.Pare@Dal.Ca>
Cc: "<categories@mta.ca>" <categories@mta.ca>,
	Heide Schumacher <heide.schumacher@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Dietmar Schumacher
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:41:49 +1000	[thread overview]

Dear Bob,

This is a big shock and terrible news.

Dietmar was one of a kind. Yes, as Bob says, always apologetic.
Yet this reflected his sensitivity both in daily life and in mathematics.

We were fortunate that Dietmar and his lovely family visited Macquarie
for 5 months beginning in September 1984. They fitted in very well and
the children liked the schools with the novel uniforms. I remember also
a very pleasant visit to the Schumachers’ in Wolfville where we learnt more
about the origins of the Cajuns we knew from New Orleans.

Dietmar visited again for four months at the end of 1991 and stayed at
our residential college: Dunmore Lang. He charmed the Principal and
managers so much that I was invited to the Dunmore Lang Christmas Party
for many years after that as appreciation for organizing Dietmar’s stay!

Otherwise we met at conferences. A couple of times in Europe,
Dietmar would find a document in his briefcase to give me to read.
The cobbled roads and arches we met under, usually in the wet,
made Dietmar remark that he felt like a drug dealer in some
1930s movie.

It is strange how the very little things stick in your memory.
One time when I parked my car next to one with a dent in the side,
Dietmar warned me that the owner might not be so careful opening
their door and I should move.

Please accept my deeply felt condolences, especially Heide and family.

Ross