categories - Category Theory list
From: wlawvere <wlawvere@buffalo.edu>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Dietmar Schumacher
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 15:00:29 -0300	[thread overview]

I am very sad to learn about the passing of Dietmar Schumacher. I remember
him as a student from Walter Felscher's classroom in Freiburg im Breisgau.
It was 50 years ago on my first visit to Germany. In the classroom Walter
publicly referred to Dietmar and praised him, and the tall, shy student
replied:  'mich?'

I served on his doctoral committee and over the years continued to be
impressed by the seriousness of his approach to mathematics. He was an
important contributor to the Canada-UK collaboration that published in
1978 major advances in the application of Grothendieck's 1961 fibered
categories. To facilitate those applications Pare' and Schumacher devised
a flexible presentation of the basic theory in terms of what they called
indexed categories.

Renewed study of these ideas, in light of the later exposition by Thomas
Streicher, should lead to further applications (for example to the
solution of problems posed in my 1972 Perugia Notes.)  The serene spirit
of Dietmar Schumacher will continue to inspire those who strive to develop
such unifying applications.

My heartfelt condolences go to his family.

Bill Lawvere