categories - Category Theory list
From: Marek Zawadowski <zawado@mimuw.edu.pl>
To: Vladimir Voevodsky <vladimir@ias.edu>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re:  non-unital monads
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:47:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Monads on a category C are monoids in the strict monoidal category End(C)
of endofunctors on C and natural transformations. We have the
forgetful functors

Mon( End(C) ) ---> nuMon ( End(C) ) ---> End(C)

forgetting from monoids to non-unital monoids and then to endofunctors.
These functors might have left adjoints. This answers the second question
concerning universal properties.

If C is Set, and we restrict objects in End(Set) to functors with rank
at most m
(for some cardinal m) , then it was shown in

M. Barr, Coequalizers and Free Triples, Math. Z. 116, pp. 307-322 (1970)

that the left adjoint to the composition of the above functors exists
giving rise
to a monad for monads on End(Set) with rank at most m. There are also
refinements of this result saying that the free monads on polynomial,
analytic, and semi-analytic functors are polynomial, analytic, and
semi-analytic, respectively. The first occurs in the unpunlished book
of Joachim Kock and the last two in the papers I wrote recently with
S. Szawiel

Theories of analytic monads. Math. Str. in Comp. Sci. pp. 1-33, (2014)

Monads of regular theories. Appl. Cat. Struct. pp. 9331-9364, (2013)

As Tom and Peter remarked, if a monoid has a left unit and a right unit,
they need to be equal.

Best regards,
Marek