categories - Category Theory list
From: Tarmo Uustalu <tarmo@cs.ioc.ee>
To: Vladimir Voevodsky <vladimir@ias.edu>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re:  non-unital monads
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:02:09 +0300 (EEST)	[thread overview]

Dear Vladimir,

1. The answer to the first question is no, there can only be one unit
for a given underlying functor and multiplication.

(But for a given underlying functor and unit, there can of course be
multiple multiplications.)

2. "Non-unital monads" are not difficult to find.

On Set, you can consider, for example,

- T X  =  X x S   where (S, *) is some semigroup

                           ass                 X x *
    mu_X  =  (X x S) x S -------> X x (S x S) ----- -> X x S

    The simplest special case is given by right zero semigroups: Take
    any set S and define s * s' = s'; one gets

                         fst x S
    mu_X  =  (X x S) x S -------> X x S

    (For S with 2 or more elements, there is no unit.)

- T X  =  lists over X of length at least n, for some fixed n

    mu_X  =  flattening of a list of lists into a list

    (For n \geq 2, there is no unit.)

- For an endofunctor F, the free non-unital monad on F would be

    F^+ X  =  F (F^* X)  \cong  F^* (F X)

    where F^* is the free monad on F (assuming this exists).

    So concretely you can construct F+ in terms of initial algebras by

    F^+ X  =  F (mu Z. X + F Z)  \cong  mu Z. F X + F Z

    (for comparison, F^* X  \cong  mu Z. X + F Z)

    The free non-unital monad exists precisely when the free monad does,
    as you also have

    F^* X  \cong  X + F^+ X

    For your example, F X  =  X x X, one gets that F X is the set of all
    composite terms over variables from X, for a signature with one binary
    operation.

    (And free would mean left adjoint to forgetful as usual.)

Kind regards,

Tarmo U