categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Category Theory for the Sciences
@ 2015-01-30 19:03 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2015-01-30 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Older, and shorter. The print version runs to over 400 pp. whereas that web
PDF stays under 300.

Still the web version faithfully conveys the flavor of the print version.  Just
see how late, and how lackadaisically, Yoneda's Lemma enters into the fray.

Cheers, -- Fred

---

From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2015-01-30 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Garraway <dgarraway@ewu.edu> noticed that, in re Category Theory for  the
Sciences,

> There is apparently a slightly older version online.  It can be found at

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-s996-category-theory-for-scientists-spring-2013/textbook/MIT18_S996S13_textbook.pdf
... .

That's dated Sept. 17, 2013. MIT hosts earlier versions as well, viz.:

http://math.mit.edu/~dspivak/teaching/sp13/CT4S--static.pdf of Feb. 5, 2013

and

http://math.mit.edu/~dspivak/teaching/sp13/CT4S.pdf of May 14, 2013,

all related to a course of his entitled "Category Theory for Scientists"
(the printed book is entitled, instead, "Category Theory for the Sciences").

Cheers, -- Fred

* Category Theory for the Sciences
@ 2015-01-29  0:59 Michael Barr
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Michael Barr @ 2015-01-29  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

A book of that name by David I. Spivak, Mathematics at MIT was recently
published by the MIT Press.  Has anyone seen it?  Did it seem interesting.
I wonder what kind of science outside of string theory would find CT
useful.

Michael