categories - Category Theory list
* Partial functors ..
@ 2015-03-16 23:12 Robin Cockett
From: Robin Cockett @ 2015-03-16 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

David Leduc <david.leduc6 <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> A partial functor from C to D is given by a subcategory S of C and a
> functor from S to D. What is the appropriate notion of natural
> transformation between partial functors that would allow to turn small
> categories, partial functors and those "natural transformations" into
> a bicategory? The difficulty is that two partial functors from C to D
> might not have the same definition domain.

Here is a basic and quite natural interpretation (if someone has not
already pointed this out):

One can have a n.t  F => G iff F is less defined than G and on their common
domain (which is just the domain of F) there is a natural transformation
from F => \rst{F} G.   Partial functors, of course, form a restriction
category so they are naturally partial order enriched (by restriction).
This 2-cell structure must simply respect this partial order ...

This is certainly not the only possibility, unfortunately ... for example
why not also allow partial natural transformations ... which are less
defined than the functor.   Here one does have to be a bit careful: a
natural transformation must "know" the subcategory it is working with ...
thus defining the natural transformation as a function on arrows (rather
than just objects) is worthwhile adjustment (see MacLane page 19, Excercise
5).  This then works too ....

I hope this helps.

-robin

* Re: Partial functors ..
@ 2015-03-18  7:03 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2015-03-18  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Yetter, Categories list

One had better take care to note explicitly how to compose maps to
and from the newly adjoined "zero object", if following Yetter's idea,

> The previous suggestion of considering functors to D + 1 was a false start
> for reasons Fred and Uwe pointed out, but it suggests a better approach:
> consider functors to the category D~ formed from D by freely adjoining a
> zero object.  Arrows not in S now have somewhere to go (the zero arrow
> with the appropriate source and target).

For, given a and b objects in D and writing z for the newly adjoined zero
object, what are we to take for compositions  a --> * --> b ? Or were we
also to adjoin "zero maps" z_(a,b) to each existing homset D(a, b), and
then set these compositions all equal to those new zero maps?

That suggests Yetter really meant to propose forming the free *pointed*
category with zero object freely engendered by D ... or maybe that's what
his words already meant to convey? Apologies if I was deaf to that tone :-) .

Cheers, -- Fred