categories - Category Theory list
* Re: categories of models of cartesian PROPs
@ 2015-08-19 19:31 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2015-08-19 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez, categories

You ask,

> Suppose you have a category with finite products, say T, and a symmetric
> monoidal category, say C.   Let [T,C] be the category where
>
>     objects are symmetric monoidal functors from T to C,
>     morphisms are monoidal natural transformations.

> Should [T,C] also have some sort of "comultiplication"?  What extra
> benefits do we get from T being cartesian?

Not entirely analogous, but the fundamental group of an Abelian group C
is just an Abelian group ... no comultiplication, in general, even though
the circle (the counterpart of T) is both a comonoid (one of the reasons
[T,C] gets a monoid structure) and a monoid. Makes me wonder about your
question.

Cheers, -- Fred

* Re: categories of models of cartesian PROPs
@ 2015-08-23 14:09       ` Fabio Gadducci
From: Fabio Gadducci @ 2015-08-23 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez; +Cc: categories

Dear John,

do not know if it may be useful, but you can say a few interesting things wrt. models if each object of the prop T has just a co-monoid structure (w/o being natural). In fact, you may e.g. capture partial functions and relational algebras.

Some details in Corradini-Gadducci, A functorial semantics for multi-algebras and partial algebras. TCS 286(2): 293-322 (2002).

Best, Fabio

@ 2015-08-22  1:49     ` John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2015-08-22  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez; +Cc: categories

Hi -

I was reassured by a decategorified analogue: if T and C are commutative
> monoids and we make the set of monoid homomorphism T -> C into a
> commutative monoid by pointwise multiplication, any one-variable identity
> (like x^2 = x) obeyed by* either C or T*  will be inherited by
> CommMon[T,C].

It seems that italicized text gets transmogrified here.  I meant:

any one-variable identity (like x^2 = x) obeyed by either C or T will be
> inherited by CommMon[T,C].

Best,
jb

* Re: categories of models of cartesian PROPs
@ 2015-08-21  4:23   ` John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2015-08-21  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: categories

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

I was surprised to hear that StrMon[T,C] becomes cartesian if T is, because
I usually think of the hom of commutative monoids as inheriting its
multiplicative properties from the target monoid.  But Richard Garner
convinced me it's true.   (Brendan will check, though, if he uses this.)

I was reassured by a decategorified analogue: if T and C are commutative
monoids and we make the set of monoid homomorphism T -> C into a
commutative monoid by pointwise multiplication, any one-variable identity
(like x^2 = x) obeyed by* either C or T*  will be inherited by CommMon[T,C].
It seems identities with more variables only get inherited from C.

Best,
jb

@ 2015-08-20 20:20 ` Aleks Kissinger
From: Aleks Kissinger @ 2015-08-20 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Some of this is now superseded by Richard's remarks, but I'll repost
nonetheless, since it offers a slightly different perspective...

The functor category is indeed symmetric monoidal. In fact, its really
only the monoidal structure on C that plays a role (by analogy to your
pointwise multiplication example, where you only need structure on the
codomain).

To ensure the functor is monoidal, the symmetry from C comes in to play:

(F @ G)(X @ Y) := F(X @ Y) @ G(X @ Y)
~= FX @ FY @ GX @ GY
~= FX @ GX @ FY @ GY
~= (F@ G)(X) @ (F @ G)(Y)

Probably more interesting is that, since the base category is
cartesian, so too is the functor category. Each object is endowed with
natural "copy" and "delete" maps, which are again natural in [T,C].
This might seem surprising, but being a monoidal natural
transformation is actually pretty restrictive when it comes to PROPs.
E.g. for frobenius algebras, it forces the map to be iso.

@ 2015-08-20  0:28 ` Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2015-08-20  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez, categories

@ 2015-08-17  8:14 John Baez