categories - Category Theory list
* Re: categories of models of cartesian PROPs
@ 2015-08-19 19:31 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2015-08-19 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez, categories

You ask,

> Suppose you have a category with finite products, say T, and a symmetric
> monoidal category, say C.   Let [T,C] be the category where
>
>     objects are symmetric monoidal functors from T to C,
>     morphisms are monoidal natural transformations.

> Should [T,C] also have some sort of "comultiplication"?  What extra
> benefits do we get from T being cartesian?

Not entirely analogous, but the fundamental group of an Abelian group C
is just an Abelian group ... no comultiplication, in general, even though
the circle (the counterpart of T) is both a comonoid (one of the reasons
[T,C] gets a monoid structure) and a monoid. Makes me wonder about your
question.

Cheers, -- Fred

* categories of models of cartesian PROPs
@ 2015-08-17  8:14 John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2015-08-17  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi -

Here are two questions:

Suppose you have a category with finite products, say T, and a symmetric
monoidal category, say C.   Let [T,C] be the category where

    objects are symmetric monoidal functors from T to C,
    morphisms are monoidal natural transformations.

*1.  What structure beyond a mere category does [T,C] automatically get in
this sort of situation?*

*2.  What further structure do we get if C has some particular class of
limits or colimits?*

I haven't thought about this much.  Even if T were just symmetric monoidal,
I think [T,C] should get a symmetric monoidal structure due to "pointwise
multiplication", just as the set of homomorphisms from one commutative
monoid to another becomes a commutative monoid where

fg(x) := f(x) g(x)

Should [T,C] also have some sort of "comultiplication"?  What extra
benefits do we get from T being cartesian?

Here's why I care:

My student Brendan Fong wrote a masters' thesis about Bayesian networks,
which he's trying to polish up and publish.

In the new improved version, he'll associate to any Bayesian network a
category with finite products, say T.   This plays the role of a "theory".
An assignment of probabilities to random variables consistent with this
theory is a symmetric monoidal functor from T to C, where C is some
symmetric monoidal category - but not cartesian! - category of probability
measure spaces and stochastic maps.  So, [T,C] plays the role of the
"category of models of T in C".

It would be nice to know the properties of [T,C] that follow instantly from
what I've said, not reliant on any more detailed information about T and C.

Best,
jb