categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Grothendieck toposes
@ 2016-11-08 13:32 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2016-11-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The term 'logos' already has a well-established meaning.
See Tholen's review of the 1990 book by Freyd and Scedrov:
Categories, allegories

...(a logos is a regular category in which the subobjects of
an object form a lattice, and in which each inverse-image map
has a right adjoint)

[parent not found: <a98ed351-1df6-4f7d-1977-7d82d5a9900b@cs.bham.ac.uk>]
[parent not found: <8641_1478651661_58226F0D_8641_41_1_E1c4Goq-0004eP-Dd@mlist.mta.ca>]
* Re: Grothendieck toposes
@ 2016-11-06 15:41 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2016-11-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear friends and colleagues,

In Spring 1981, near a lavender field in Southern France,
Alexander Grothendieck greeted me at the door of his home.
He wasted no time and immediately put the question:

'What is the relationship between the two uses of the term 'topos'?'

This led to a very interesting discussion.The first thing that
was established as a basis was that SGA4 never defined 'topos',
but rather spoke always of 'U-topos',  where U was a certain
kind of model of set theory. All the categories so arising have
common features, such as cartesian closure, and the U itself can
be construed as such a category. (TAC Reprints no. 11).

Thus we arrived at the notion of 'U-topos' as a special geometric
morphism E →U  of 'elementary' toposes. Grothendieck's
general method of relativization suggests the usefulness
of a general topos as a codomain or base U. (see Giraud, SLN 274).
But to focus more specifically on the original case, various special
properties of the base U could also be considered:
Booleanness (note for example, that Booleanness distinguishes
algebraic points among algebraic figures)
Axiom of choice;
Lack of measurable cardinals; et cetera.

One of the many topics we discussed was the
'Medaille de Chocolat' exercise in SGA4, and its basic importance
for understanding applications of topos theory: the gros and
petit sheaves of an object point out that there should be a
qualitative distinction between a topos of SPACES and a topos
of set-valued sheaves on a generalized space. I believe that
considerable progress is now being made on the characterization
of 'gros' toposes under the name of Cohesion. Grothendieck made
a big step towards  the characterization of 'petit' under the name
of  'etendu'  (sometimes known as 'locally localic'). Concerning
Grothendieck's most famous contribution, the 'petit etale' topos,
what are it's distinguishing properties as a topos?

We also discussed the Grauert direct image theorem as a
relativization of the Cartan-Serre theorem. It is important to
note that Grothendieck's work was not limited to the Weil
conjectures but, for example, involved around 1960 several
categories related to complex analysis which were perhaps
part of his inspiration for the notion of topos.

Separation?
Actually, separation has been one of the main sources of confusion.
I wish that someone with internet confidence would correct the
Wikipedia article that claims that pre-1970 toposes were about
geometry, but that post-1970 toposes were about logic. Certainly,
that discourages students from studying either.
Omitted was the fact that logic has always been used to sharpen the
study of geometry; in the last 50 years we have been able to make
this relation more explicit, with the help of categories.

Of course, separating a certain kind of object from a certain kind
of map would be basic 'grammar'.
But we cannot separate the legacy of Grothendieck from the
inspiration it gives to the continuing development of topos theory.

Best wishes
Bill Lawvere

[parent not found: <YQBPR01MB061141EA2F53A36490E14F0ADFA50@YQBPR01MB0611.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>]
* Re: Grothendieck toposes
@ 2016-11-03 14:03 Townsend, Christopher
From: Townsend, Christopher @ 2016-11-03 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'categories@mta.ca'

Dear all,

The fact that the 'right' morphisms of topos theory (geometric morphisms) are not structure preserving maps gives rise to the debate below. With an entirely localic approach the situation can be recovered; but at the cost of moving from 'elementary topos' as primitive to 'category of locales'. Here geometric morphisms can be represented as adjunctions that commute with the  double power locale monad and it is the double power locale monad that gives the structure in categories of locales. So there are avenues worth exploring which may provide a way of marrying up the structural disconnect between objects and morphisms that is implicit in topos theory.

Christopher

Subject: Re: categories: Re: Grothendieck toposes

On 2016-11-01 17:16, Joyal wrote:

> It is marvelous that the two notions should be so related.
> But it is be better to keep them appart before uniting them.
> Otherwise the miracle disappear in confusion.

The "miracle disappears in confusion" is an important observation, as is the need to "keep apart before uniting".

Syntax and semantics is like that, or meta and object language.
Foundations of mathematics without categorical consideration is basically then over  Set, naively speaking. Logic is similar. Fons et origo logic from  late 19th century and decades after is confused about being before set theory or after. Topos internalizes logic but is different from the Goguen-Meseguer approach to institutions and entailment systems. The apples and pears  of logic should not be seen as a fruit salad.

I've sometimes thought (and written some pieces about, e.g. to be found under www.glioc.com<http://www.glioc.com>) what if Gödel's Incompleteness  Theorem wasn't a Theorem but a Paradox. After all, Gödel basically transforms the Liar Paradox to a Liar Theorem, and logicians at that time (except maybe Hilbert, but he was too old to quarrel) found it to be very smart.
However, if we use underlying categories and functors to start from signatures, then create terms, then sentences, then entailments, then models, then  proof strategies, and so on, it means we close doors behind us, so that we  disable ourselves to mix truth and provability as being "of the same kind or type", which Gödel did. Categorically, terms come from monads, because  they enable substitution, but sentences just from functors, because otherwise everything is 'term'. The functorial description and generality of entailment and model is of course more tricky, in particular if the underlying category is something more elaborate (like monoidal closed categories) than  just Set.

In this (heretic?) view, Gödel's Theorem/Paradox is actually an example where that miracle appears because of the unintended (?) confusion, so this is why I sometimes think what if it was ween as a Paradox.

Best,

Patrik

[parent not found: <YQBPR01MB0611BC0F9930A55EC2DFE2C8DFAF0@YQBPR01MB0611.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>]
* Re: Grothendieck toposes
@ 2016-10-30 20:17 Marta Bunge
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marta Bunge @ 2016-10-30 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Steve Vickers

Dear Steve,

When an elementary (base) topos S is specified, I use "S-bounded topos" to mean the pair (E, e), with E an elementary topos and e: E--> S a (bounded) geometric morphism. When S = Set (a model of ZFC) and E an arbitrary elementary topos, then there is a most one geometric morphism e:E---> Set, so in that case the latter need not be specified. I therefore use "E is a Grothendieck topos" to mean  "E is an elementary topos bounded over Sets".  The latter has been shown to be equivalent to what Grothendieck meant by it.

Best regards,
Marta
Marta Bunge
Professor Emerita
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
McGill University
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2K6
Home: (514) 935-3618
marta.bunge@mcgill.ca
http://www.math.mcgill.ca/people/bunge
From: David Yetter @ 2016-10-28 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I, for one, would assume the same meaning for the phrase "Grothendieck topos" as is used in the Elephant.

David Yetter

* Grothendieck toposes
@ 2016-10-27 11:07 Steve Vickers