categories - Category Theory list
* Marta Bunge
@ 2022-10-27 20:02 George Janelidze
From: George Janelidze @ 2022-10-27 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Colleagues,

I have already written to Eric and Silvia saying, "We will always remember your mother with great admiration".

"We" was referring to my family, but I am sure I could say "we" for the whole community of category theory. Some of you know more than I do about Marta's mathematics and the role she played in Montreal's and World's category theory, but I also know enough to speak of admiration, thinking about her talent, her vision, and her kindness.

George
Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.

* Marta Bunge
@ 2022-10-27 10:09 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2022-10-27 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Streicher; +Cc: categories

I was very sad to hear of Marta’s death. Despite much mathematical exchange by email, our various attempts to arrange a meeting all fell through  and now the opportunity is gone. Yet her work remains one of my go-to sources for topological aspects of topos theory, dating back to her collaboration  with Funk on powerlocales and their topos version the symmetric topos. I continue to draw inspiration from her deep thinking and clear exposition.

Steve Vickers

* Marta Bunge
@ 2022-10-27  8:07 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2022-10-27  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bunge Hoang; +Cc: categories list

Dear Silvia, dear Eric,

I have affectionate, vivid memories of your mother, from many conferences, her sabbatical
and her visits in Genoa, with your father for long periods and sometimes with you.
We had long discussions, about mathematics, politics and everything. We miss them,
more than I am able to say.

Marta had familial links with this town, as you certainly know but perhaps most of our
colleagues ignore. Many years ago, she asked me to find here documents of her grand
father (or grand-grand, I do not remember), through which she could obtain the Italian
citizenship.

With our affection and regret

Marco and Maria Teresa