categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Defining composition via colimit
       [not found] ` <a31ae7ae-b5f5-4f86-9b4f-0b36adab1ea7-0@mqoutlook.onmicrosoft.com>
@ 2023-11-03 10:29   ` JS Lemay
From: JS Lemay @ 2023-11-03 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Composition of distributors or profunctors would be an example. But
composition is only defined up to isomorphism and so one gets a
bicategory. This was done in the second half of the sixties by Benabou.

But the situation can be rectified when redefining distributors from A to B
as cocontinuous functors from Psh(A) to Psh(B).

Thomas

PS I take the opportunity to thank Bob for organising and moderating the
categories list for such a long time.
And thanks to the people who have taken over! I missed it for quite some
time already!

@ 2023-11-02 23:23   ` Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2023-11-02 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamievicary; +Cc: categories

Hi Jamie,

That does sound interesting. Did you look at:

- Kelly, G. M., & Le Creurer, I. J. On the monadicity over graphs of
  categories with limits. Cahiers de Topologie et G\'eom\'etrie
  Diff\'erentielle Cat\'egoriques, 1997(38), 179–191.

This paper, among other things, shows that categories with limits
indexed by finite acyclic directed graphs are monadic over directed
graphs. It seems like you could be describing an algebra structure for
this monad (which is a fortiori a category). The paper gives a fairly
explicit presentation of this monad by generators and relations, so you
should be able to check fairly easily if that is indeed what is going
on.

Richard

@ 2023-11-02 18:55 ` Jamie Vicary