Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Marketplaces for Vintage Tech Books, Etc.?
@ 2023-06-22 23:54 segaloco via COFF
From: segaloco via COFF @ 2023-06-22 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

Good afternoon folks, I just wanted to ask if anyone is aware of online marketplaces I should be looking at in my constant scouring for historical documentation materials?

Presently I've got a policy of checking eBay and Biblio pretty regularly for UNIX material, occasionally searching for a few other odds and ends subject-wise, but I'm starting to wonder if there are other avenues flying under my radar where folks might be more likely to be selling for instance 70s and 80s UNIX manuals, paper copies of old standards, hardware docs from IBM and DEC, etc.

If you have any suggestions, especially those that don't require me to setup yet another account to keep track of, I'd surely appreciate it. Also consider this my way of saying if you​ have something to sell, I'll gladly consider it, although I am being pretty selective on matters of historical/research significance that are currently obscure, so sorry if I won't buy your twelfth copy of KnR C, even if it is signed!

- Matt G.

* [COFF] Re: Marketplaces for Vintage Tech Books, Etc.?
@ 2023-06-24  3:59 ` Grant Taylor via COFF
From: Grant Taylor via COFF @ 2023-06-24  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

On 6/22/23 6:54 PM, segaloco via COFF wrote:
> If you have any suggestions, especially those that don't require me to
> setup yet another account to keep track of, I'd surely appreciate it.

I use saved searches on the following three platforms:

  - eBay
  - Chraigslist
  - Mercari

I usually have good luck, even on rarer things.

The fact that the platform does searches daily means that I'll be
notified of new things that I might not find myself.

I've also heard tell of people finding a few things on Etsy, but I've
not done much with it yet.

Grant. . . .

* [COFF] Re: Marketplaces for Vintage Tech Books, Etc.?
@ 2023-06-24 23:49   ` KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-06-24 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: coff

Grant,

Thanks for the tip. I went on Mercari and picked up a couple of Unix/Linux
things
like a sealed 4 CD set of FreeBSD 32bit 2.2.1 and a set of old Linux Format
mags.

Ken

--
End of line
JOB TERMINATED -->> Okey Dokey, OK Boss

* [COFF] Re: Marketplaces for Vintage Tech Books, Etc.?
@ 2023-06-26 21:29     ` Grant Taylor via COFF
From: Grant Taylor via COFF @ 2023-06-26 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

On 6/24/23 6:49 PM, KenUnix wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.

> I went on Mercari and picked up a couple of Unix/Linux things like a
> sealed 4 CD set of FreeBSD 32bit 2.2.1 and a set of old Linux z
> Format mags.
Cool!

I'm glad that you found them to be useful.

Grant. . . .