Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] tvtwm
@ 2022-12-17  8:28 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2022-12-17  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey via COFF

I’m wondering if anyone here is able to assist …

tvtwm is Tom LaStrange’s modified version of the twm window manager: Tom’s Virtual TWM.  Somewhat unusually, tvtwm modelled the screen as a single large window and the display was a viewport that could be shifted around it, rather than the now-standard model of distinct virtual desktops.

I’m trying to rebuild the history of its releases.  I have the initial release, and the first 6 patches Tom published via comp.sources.x, the 7th patch from the X11R5 contrib tape, the 10th patch from the X11R6 contrib tape, the widely available patch 11, and an incomplete patch 12 via personal email from Chris Ross, who took over maintenance from Tom at some point.

So, I’m looking for patch 8 and/or patch 9 (either one would do, since I can reconstruct the other from what I have plus one).

I’ve failed to find either of them.  I’m not sure how they were distributed, and my searches have proven fruitless so far.

Does anyone here happen to have a trove of X11 window manager source code tucked away?

Thanks in advance,

* [COFF] Re: tvtwm
@ 2022-12-17 17:34 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2022-12-17 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Arnold; +Cc: Warren Toomey via COFF

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022, 1:28 AM David Arnold <davida@pobox.com> wrote:

> I’m wondering if anyone here is able to assist …
>
> tvtwm is Tom LaStrange’s modified version of the twm window manager: Tom’s
> Virtual TWM.  Somewhat unusually, tvtwm modelled the screen as a single
> large window and the display was a viewport that could be shifted around
> it, rather than the now-standard model of distinct virtual desktops.
>
> I’m trying to rebuild the history of its releases.  I have the initial
> release, and the first 6 patches Tom published via comp.sources.x, the 7th
> patch from the X11R5 contrib tape, the 10th patch from the X11R6 contrib
> tape, the widely available patch 11, and an incomplete patch 12 via
> personal email from Chris Ross, who took over maintenance from Tom at some
> point.

Tom doesn't have anything from yhis time period....

So, I’m looking for patch 8 and/or patch 9 (either one would do, since I
> can reconstruct the other from what I have plus one).
>
> I’ve failed to find either of them.  I’m not sure how they were
> distributed, and my searches have proven fruitless so far.
>
> Does anyone here happen to have a trove of X11 window manager source code
> tucked away?

During this era there were a dozen or five Internet CDROM collections of
sources, etc. You may have to scrounge them to find these... I'll see of
any of my images have anything useful... but the initial search isn't
looking great...

Warner

Thanks in advance,

* [COFF] Re: tvtwm
@ 2022-12-18  3:41 ` Grant Taylor via COFF
From: Grant Taylor via COFF @ 2022-12-18  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

On 12/17/22 1:28 AM, David Arnold wrote:
> Does anyone here happen to have a trove of X11 window manager source
> code tucked away?

Have you seen the following versions?  Indexed & searchable content from
(some of) the Internet Archive via DiscMaster?

http://discmaster.textfiles.com/search?q=tvtwm

Sorry, I don't know what I'm looking at beyond guessing at one of which
that looks like patch 10 or 11.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [COFF] Re: tvtwm
@ 2022-12-18 23:45   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2022-12-18 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: coff

> On 18 Dec 2022, at 14:41, Grant Taylor via COFF <coff@tuhs.org> wrote:

Hi Grant,

> Have you seen the following versions?  Indexed & searchable content from (some of) the Internet Archive via DiscMaster?
>
> http://discmaster.textfiles.com/search?q=tvtwm
>
> Sorry, I don't know what I'm looking at beyond guessing at one of which that looks like patch 10 or 11.

I hadn’t found that index, which was certainly a great improvement on manually searching a bunch of ISOs!  Unfortunately, it appears that the patches I’m hunting aren’t there either.

I suspect it’s likely that they were not very widely distributed: there are plenty of the X11R5 version (pl7) and then the X11R6 version (pl10), but the intermediate changes have proven elusive.  If anyone is in contact with Chris P. Ross, formerly cross@eng.md.edu, who seems to have been the maintainer during this period, I’d appreciate an intro: I suspect he’s my last hope.

Thanks for the pointer though!