Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Disk Technology was [Simh] Which PDP-11 to choose
       [not found]           ` <005401d5300f$74588a60$5d099f20$@twsoft.co.uk>
@ 2019-07-01 13:49             ` clemc
From: clemc @ 2019-07-01 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

We really should take this off-list if you want to continue the discussion
as it has little to do with simh and more history (so I'm CCing the TUHS
COFF list.  I'll include simh for now, but if you reply please kill the
simh part).

 An Eagle or Eagle-II was a whole lot lighter (and physically smaller) than
an RP06 or RP07 (or an RM series drive for that matter). It is interesting
to hear you had problems with the Eagles.   They were generally considered
the best/most reliable of the day.   The SI controller on the Vax was less
so, although many of us in the UNIX community used them.

FWIW: I was accused of jinxing the 19" SMD Ampex drive by Masscomp's field
service team.   The story is we could never make the Ampex drives work
reliably at UCB (they were cheaper in bytes/$ than the Eagles at the
time).   When I was being recruited to Masscomp as I was leaving UCB, they
were trying to use Ampex as their high-end SMD drive with the Xylogic 440
controller, but had not (yet) had a failure. [Xylogic, like Masscomp, was
ex-DEC folks]. Anyway, I had mentioned @ UCB we had given up on the Ampex
drive on our Vaxen, and within 2 weeks of my starting to work darned near
all of them that Masscomp owned had failed.

PC (Paul Cantrell), tjt and I did eventually make them work but only after
we got Xylogic to redesign the 440 to be the 450 controllers and PC spend
hours with the microcode team on the error recovery logic.  Funny, the
450/Eagle combination (and later Xylogic 472 tape)  became the de rigor in
the UNIX community.

BTW: if Mark and the simh team is to ever to create a solid
Sun/Masscomp/Apollo simulator, they will need to emulate the Xylogic
controller family.   One more thing for the forever growing list of things
I'd like to do when I retire, but I think I still have the engineering
specs for them and PC and tjt are still to be found ;-)

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 9:19 AM Tim Wilkinson <tjw at twsoft.co.uk> wrote:

> Back in 85 have had applications to purchase a 785 – 780-750-730 then 725
> rejected, we were fortunately given a 750 by a sister company who were
> upgrading to a 785, but they took their disks. So we had to buy for
> ourselves.
>

> To keep the bean counter happy we went for a System Industries controller
> and 4 super Eagles.
>

> But back then there was a problem with the eagles and all 4 had to be
> swapped out 4 times.
>

> Carrying them up stairs to the computer room was not fun. The platter size
> may have been reduced. But the weight!!!
>

> Tim

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [COFF] Disk Technology was [Simh] Which PDP-11 to choose
@ 2019-07-01 14:11               ` lm
From: lm @ 2019-07-01 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 09:49:42AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
>  An Eagle or Eagle-II was a whole lot lighter (and physically smaller) than
> an RP06 or RP07 (or an RM series drive for that matter). It is interesting
> to hear you had problems with the Eagles.   They were generally considered
> the best/most reliable of the day.   The SI controller on the Vax was less
> so, although many of us in the UNIX community used them.

We ran Eagles on the Masscomps we had at Geophysics.  Nothing but good
things to say about those drives.

* [COFF] Disk Technology was [Simh] Which PDP-11 to choose
@ 2019-07-02 11:47                 ` jpl.jpl
From: jpl.jpl @ 2019-07-02 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

There were eagles, and then there were super-eagles. Our experience with
eagles was great, and we were eager to try the (larger) super-eagles. We
soaked them for a month or so, then put them into production use.
Whereupon, they started dropping like flies. It turns out the glue they
used to attach the platters to the spindle slowly crept out over time,
eventually coming to grief with a read/write head. This experience was
wide-spread, and seriously damaged Fujitsu's reputation.

@ 2019-07-02 13:13                   ` clemc
From: clemc @ 2019-07-02 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeah - although we discovered that the better the controller microcode was
at handling errors, the better life was for the user, disk vendor, and
system manufacturer.   On the VAX, the SI controller was not extremely
forgiving and I had left that world. I wonder if some of the super eagle's
issues were that the controller did not gracefully handle drive errors.
IIRC Emulex's SMI and Unibus controllers tended to be smarter than SI's.
 FWIW: Once Xylogic did the 45x series for the Multibus/later VME with *the
microcode solid* and Unix drivers got written to handle the errors
returned, my experiences were ( as Larry said ) we had few problems with
any of the SMD disks, even the Ampex, at either Masscomp or Stellar.

Truth is by then we had started to concentrate on ESDI 5.25" FF disks from
the 19" and 8" SMD technologies (using a cheap SCSI to ESDI controller).
But it was a little of "you get what you pay for" problem.   The new
controllers for the smaller disks cost a lot less  (Xylogic VME/Multibus
*vs.* SMS SCSI); so we were starting over with the SMS folks to educate
them.  Apollo had been SMS's primary partner (did you ever wonder why they
supported at 1056 byte block as one of their native block sizes), but to
the SMS's folks credit they picked up the ideas of good error recovery
reasonable fast.

Clem

PS The thing I fear lost to history was PC's code for the Masscomp
formatter/tester/exerciser for the 45x Series. It was an amazing piece of
work.  I think we still have the OS sources kicking around, but the
diagnostic system was of less interest I fear.

@ 2019-07-02 13:41                   ` tjw
From: tjw @ 2019-07-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting that it was the platter bonding. The explanation SI gave us (They sold us the super Eagles along with their controller) was that it was a lubricant. So I had assumed a bearing seal fail.

Anyway after about 4 swap outs and a lot of lifting they lasted a further 15 years until we knocked down the office with the original 750 and its big brother an 8810 still in the computer room as all the resellers wanted certificates of continuing maintenance that would have cost more than they were willing to pay for those vaxs.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 10:11 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com <mailto:lm at mcvoy.com> > wrote:

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 09:49:42AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
>  An Eagle or Eagle-II was a whole lot lighter (and physically smaller) than
> an RP06 or RP07 (or an RM series drive for that matter). It is interesting
> to hear you had problems with the Eagles.   They were generally considered
> the best/most reliable of the day.   The SI controller on the Vax was less
> so, although many of us in the UNIX community used them.

We ran Eagles on the Masscomps we had at Geophysics.  Nothing but good
things to say about those drives.

---

@ 2019-07-02 19:58                     ` jpl.jpl
From: jpl.jpl @ 2019-07-02 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't have authoritative info on the cause, I'm just repeating what I
heard. A highly viscous substance like glue would explain why it took so
long to fail. In any event, it was nasty. Worked perfectly long enough to
build confidence, then failed spectacularly. It was widespread. I entered a
"Sysadmin Horror Story" contest at a USENIX (San Diego?), and won with a
"short story" entry: *Supereagles*. I still have the shark's tooth trophy.

@ 2019-07-02 21:34                       ` rp
From: rp @ 2019-07-02 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

if you still have that story, I'd love to hear it. A quick search didn't
turn up anything except that Super Eagles is a Nigerian football team.

@ 2019-07-03 18:02                         ` jpl.jpl
From: jpl.jpl @ 2019-07-03 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

The best I could find googling *fujitsu super eagle "glue"* was

Introduction to redundant arrays of inexpensive disks ... - IEEE Xplore
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel2/231/7454/00301912.pdf
<https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel2/231/7454/00301912.pdf>
by DA Patterson - ‎1989 - ‎Cited by 324
<https://scholar.google.com/scholar?biw=1544&bih=764&um=1&ie=UTF-8&lr&cites=11507519054000724161>
-
‎Related articles
<https://scholar.google.com/scholar?biw=1544&bih=764&um=1&ie=UTF-8&lr&q=related:wZjAM5zrsp8u3M:scholar.google.com/>
computers, the Fujitsu M2361A "Super Eagle" disk for minicomputers, .....
assembly, with this gluedissolving after the disks had been in the field
for 18 months.

Tantalizing, but I couldn't dig further, perhaps because I'm not a member
of IEEE.

@ 2019-07-03 18:38                           ` clemc
From: clemc @ 2019-07-03 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

John - not much there:

Introduction to redundant arrays of inexpensive disks (RAID)
From Page 112, Bottom of 1st column continued to the top of second the text
is:

While the magnetic disk industry has made little progress in improving
speed of disks, it has significantly reduced the size of disks. The
personal computer industry has created a market for 5.25 and 3.5 inch
drives, reducing the cost per disk system as well as the traditional
lowering of cost per megabyte. Table I below compares the top-of-the-line
IBM 3380 model AK4 mainframe disk, Fujitsu M2361A "Super Eagle"
minicomputer disk, Impress/CDC Wren-IV workstation disk, and the
Conner Peripherals
CP 3100 personal computer disk.

From Page 116, Second column the text is;

One problem that several magnetic disk manufacturers have mentioned is what
we would call the "Pinto Effect;" a mistake is made in manufacturing
process that is so disastrous that the disk manufacturer will recall all
affected disks and replace them. The common theme is that the mistake is
uncovered after the disks have been in the field for several months and the
disks all fail within a short time of one another. One example was a
manufacturer who glued together the two halves of an head-disk assembly,
with this glue dissolving after the disks had been in the field for 18
months. Another example was that a new bateriacide used in an air filter
interacted with the disk surface so that many failures occurred six months
later. A common cause of the Pinto Effect is that a supplier will change
some component as a cost cutting measure without notifying the disk
manufacturer, and disastrous consequences occur due to unforeseen
interactions.

Although we desperately need real data on disk failures, we are performing
studies of using models to estimate the impact of the Pinto Effect on RAID
reliability.

@ 2019-07-03 18:42                             ` clemc
From: clemc @ 2019-07-03 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)