Computer Old Farts Forum
From: rudi.j.blom at gmail.com (Rudi Blom)
Subject: [COFF] Architectures -- was [TUHS] 68k prototypes & microcode (Clem Cole)
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 10:01:07 +0700

I have to agree with Clem here. Mind you I still mourn the demise of
Alpha and even Itanium but then I never had to pay for those systems.
I only make sure they run properly so the customer can enjoy their
applications.

My 32-1/2 cents (inflation adjusted).
Take care and stay as healthy as some of my 25 year old servers :-)
Cheers,
uncle rubl

>From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>
>To: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>
>Cc: COFF <coff at minnie.tuhs.org>
>Bcc:
>Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 09:36:20 -0500
>Subject: Re: [COFF] Architectures -- was [TUHS] 68k prototypes & microcode

<snip>
>BTW: Once again we 100% agree on the architecture part of the discussion.  And frankly >pre-386 days, I could not think how anyone would come up with it.  As computer >architecture it is terrible, how did so many smart people come up with such?  It defies >everything we are taught about 'good' computer architectural design.  But ....   after all of >the issues with the ISA's of Vax and the x86/INTEL*64 vs. Alpha --- is how I came to the >conclusion, architecture does not matter nearly as much as economics and we need to >get over it and stop whining.   Or in Christensen's view, a new growing market is often >made from a product that has technically not as good as the one in the original >mainstream market but has some value to the new group of people.
<snip>
--
The more I learn the better I understand I know nothing.