Computer Old Farts Forum
From: tytso at mit.edu (Theodore Ts'o)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 22:57:23 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 09:58:18PM +0100, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Perhaps this is off topic for this list, if so, apologies in advance.
>
> Or perhaps this will be of interest to some who do not trace yet
> another mailing list out there :-).
>
> Two days ago I received a notice that bugtraq would be terminated...
>
> But what could possibly explain an almost year long gap? Their
> computers changed owners last year, and maybe someone switched the
> flip, were fired, nobody switched it on again? Or something else?

The explanation can be found here:

	"... BugTraq itself also exchanged hands several times, from
	Chasin to Brown University, then to SecurityFocus, which was
	acquired by Symantec.

	The portal's demise started in 2019 when Broadcom acquired
	Symantec. Three months later, in February 2020, the site
	stopped adding new content, remaining mostly an empty shell.

	Today, the site's last maintainers confirmed the portal's
	current state of affairs and formalized BugTraq's passing into
	infosec lore."

An update:  https://seclists.org/bugtraq/2021/Jan/1

	"Bugtraq has been a valuable institution within the Cyber
	Security community for almost 30 years. Many of our own people
	entered the industry by subscribing to it and learning from
	it. So, based on the feedback weâve received both from the
	community-at-large and internally, weâve decided to keep the
	Bugtraq list running.  Weâll be working in the coming weeks to
	ensure that it can remain a valuable asset to the community
	for years to come.  - Accenture Security"

	    	     	      - Ted