* Two and a half PGP-MIME issues
@ 2000-11-21 21:22 Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-11-21 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm using a recent CVS Gnus with PGP 5.0 and MailCrypt 3.5.5.

1.  Decrypting mails with umlauts in the body produces \201's in front
    of every umlaut.  These mails were encrypted within Gnus. Same
    effect for encryption / decryption without really sending a mail
    (`K E' - see 1½), so it must be a Gnus issue.

1½. `K E` is cool but it would be even cooler if there were a reverse
    function to store the decrypted mail.  Right now I have to edit
    the message and fiddle with *mml* buffers, right?

2.  Specifying a recipient that PGP doesn't have a public available
    for and answering the question about fetching that key with NO
    causes the email to be sent (immediately!) - unencrypted but with
    all the PGP-MIME stuff in it.  I consider this to be broken and
    dangerous.

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz - rscholz@zonix.de - PGP - http://www.zonix.de/

* Re: Two and a half PGP-MIME issues
@ 2000-11-22  1:04 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-22  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2000@zonix.de> writes:

> I'm using a recent CVS Gnus with PGP 5.0 and MailCrypt 3.5.5.
>
> 1.  Decrypting mails with umlauts in the body produces \201's in front
>     of every umlaut.  These mails were encrypted within Gnus. Same
>     effect for encryption / decryption without really sending a mail
>     (`K E' - see 1½), so it must be a Gnus issue.

Probably fixed. Please try and tell me the result.

> 1½. `K E` is cool but it would be even cooler if there were a reverse
>     function to store the decrypted mail.  Right now I have to edit
>     the message and fiddle with *mml* buffers, right?

Right.

> 2.  Specifying a recipient that PGP doesn't have a public available
>     for and answering the question about fetching that key with NO
>     causes the email to be sent (immediately!) - unencrypted but with
>     all the PGP-MIME stuff in it.  I consider this to be broken and
>     dangerous.

Probably fixed. Please try and tell me the result.

ShengHuo

* Re: Two and a half PGP-MIME issues
@ 2000-11-22 12:04   ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-11-22 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> schrieb:

> > 1.  Decrypting mails with umlauts in the body produces \201's in front
> >     of every umlaut.  These mails were encrypted within Gnus. Same
> >     effect for encryption / decryption without really sending a mail
> >     (`K E' - see 1½), so it must be a Gnus issue.
>
> Probably fixed. Please try and tell me the result.

No, I see the same result as before.  I'm using Emacs 20.7.2 with
Mule-UCS on Debian Potato.  Please tell me if I should provide you
with more information on my environment or sample mails / buffers etc.

> > 2.  Specifying a recipient that PGP doesn't have a public available
> >     for and answering the question about fetching that key with NO
> >     causes the email to be sent (immediately!) - unencrypted but with
> >     all the PGP-MIME stuff in it.  I consider this to be broken and
> >     dangerous.
>
> Probably fixed. Please try and tell me the result.

Fixed, Gnus now tells me that it failed to encrypt the message and
doesn't send the mail.

Cheers,
  Ray
--

@ 2000-11-22 13:56     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2000@zonix.de> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> schrieb:
>
> > > 1.  Decrypting mails with umlauts in the body produces \201's in front
> > >     of every umlaut.  These mails were encrypted within Gnus. Same
> > >     effect for encryption / decryption without really sending a mail
> > >     (`K E' - see 1½), so it must be a Gnus issue.
> >
> > Probably fixed. Please try and tell me the result.
>
> No, I see the same result as before.  I'm using Emacs 20.7.2 with
> Mule-UCS on Debian Potato.  Please tell me if I should provide you
> with more information on my environment or sample mails / buffers etc.

Are \201's produced if you manually decrypt the message?

ShengHuo

* Re: Two and a half PGP-MIME issues
@ 2000-11-22 14:38       ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2000-11-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Funnily enough I did NOT have this problem until I kicked out gpg.el
(in the contrib directory) from my configuration to check out whether
the recipient problem would disappear with mailcrypt 3.5.5.

However: after kicking it out, I see the same problem now. Strange
enough it does not appear in my archived mails (they look fine) only
in those coming in from somewhere else.

 >> > Probably fixed. Please try and tell me the result.

 >> No, I see the same result as before.  I'm using Emacs 20.7.2 with
 >> Mule-UCS on Debian Potato.  Please tell me if I should provide you
 >> with more information on my environment or sample mails / buffers
 >> etc.

 sz> Are \201's produced if you manually decrypt the message?

Not here. They look fine when being decoded with Seahorse.

Regards,
                Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@gnu.org>
the monthly GNU forum in English, German,

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 268 bytes --]

* Re: Two and a half PGP-MIME issues
@ 2000-11-22 14:49       ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-11-22 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> schrieb:

> Are \201's produced if you manually decrypt the message?

No.

Maybe this information is useful: if I manually insert a ASCII-amoured
PGP MESSAGE created outside Emacs in a mail and decrypt it within
Gnus, no \201 are produced.

Cheers,
  Ray
--

@ 2000-11-22 15:03         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-22 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2000@zonix.de> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> schrieb:
>
> > Are \201's produced if you manually decrypt the message?
>
> No.

This means that the bug is not in the encryption routine.

> Maybe this information is useful: if I manually insert a ASCII-amoured
> PGP MESSAGE created outside Emacs in a mail and decrypt it within
> Gnus, no \201 are produced.

This means that the bug is not in the decryption routine.

Where the bug is?

ShengHuo

* Re: Two and a half PGP-MIME issues
@ 2000-11-25 14:40           ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-11-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> schrieb:

> > > Are \201's produced if you manually decrypt the message?
> >
> > No.
>
> This means that the bug is not in the encryption routine.
>
> > Maybe this information is useful: if I manually insert a ASCII-amoured
> > PGP MESSAGE created outside Emacs in a mail and decrypt it within
> > Gnus, no \201 are produced.
>
> This means that the bug is not in the decryption routine.
>
> Where the bug is?

I did a few more tests and noticed that the \201's only appear when
decrypting multipart messages with application/pgp-encrypted.
Decrypting messages with MIME type text/plain and an ASCII-armored
content works fine.  So the bug may reside in the MIME layer and not
in the crypto routines.

Cheers,
  Ray
--