* I can't send non-ascii characters any more
@ 1999-12-14 18:46 Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to have lost my ability to send non-ascii characters.  I always
used to go into iso-accents-mode and use the punctuation combinations,
and it would work.  I have:

(setq message-default-charset `iso-8859-1)

in my .gnus.el.

Now when I type a word like Noel, if I put a double dot over the e,
when I try to send the message, gnus tells me "Your message contains
non-ascii characters, really send?", and if I say "Yes", it asks if I
want to use ascii to send, and doesn't give me any other choices.  Is
there something I should change in my .gnus.el?

Not only is the sequence of questions confusing, but it looks to me
like the messages don't actually get sent, nor do they get saved in
the folder to which they should be gcc'd.

I get the following  trace in the SMTP session buffer:

220 gamesville.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:34:37 -0500
HELO acme47.nineco.com
250 gamesville.com Hello IDENT:lconrad@acme47.nineCo.com [192.168.0.54], pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM: <lconrad@gamesville.com>
250 <lconrad@gamesville.com>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <lconrad@world.std.com>
250 <lconrad@world.std.com>... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
.
250 OAA30254 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 gamesville.com closing connection

Process SMTP exited abnormally with code 256

I discussed this with our system manager, and he says there have been
no changes to the sendmail configuration on the smtp server.

I am able to send these characters fine with pgnus 0.98.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

* Re: I can't send non-ascii characters any more
@ 1999-12-14 21:50       ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    ZSH> I've probably fixed this bug. If so, this bug is a hidden
    ZSH> one, just triggered recently.

    ZSH> Update to the latest CVS, (setq mml-confirmation-set nil),
    ZSH> then try again.

Yup.  Thanks.

--

       [not found]   ` <kh7902xi5xm.fsf@acme47.nineco.com>
@ 1999-12-14 21:30     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-14 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-12-14 20:52 ` Shenghuo ZHU
       [not found]   ` <kh7902xi5xm.fsf@acme47.nineco.com>
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

LC> Now when I type a word like Noël, when I try to send the message,
LC> gnus tells me "Your message contains non-ascii characters, really
LC> send?", and if I say "Yes", it asks if I want to use ascii to
LC> send, and doesn't give me any other choices.  Is there something I
LC> should change in my .gnus.el?

Wait a second. Did it say `non-ascii'? Or `characters with unknown
encoding'?

[...]

ZSH> How about `M-: (mm-find-mime-charset-region (point-min)
ZSH> (point-max)) RET'?

LC> nil

How about `M-: (mm-find-charset-region (point-min) (point-max)) RET'
in a buffer with non-ascii characters?

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: I can't send non-ascii characters any more
@ 1999-12-14 20:44       ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    ZSH> You may input an iso-8859-1 character with accent, then type
    ZSH> `M-: (char-charset (char-after)) RET' on the character.

    LC> I get:

    LC> Signaling: (void-function char-charset)

    ZSH> [...]

    ZSH> How about `M-: (mm-find-mime-charset-region (point-min)
    ZSH> (point-max)) RET'?

nil

--

       [not found]   ` <yccogbtmgtz.fsf@orff.sea.tera.com>
@ 1999-12-14 20:43   ` Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 1999-12-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> LC> (setq message-default-charset `iso-8859-1)

I use that as well

> LC> Now when I type a word like Noël, when I try to send the message,
> LC> gnus tells me "Your message contains non-ascii characters, really
> LC> send?", and if I say "Yes", it asks if I want to use ascii to

I have been seeing the same in a non-mule XEmacs. without iso-accents
(One of my keyboards has German umlauts on it).

I answer both of the questions Laura quoted with 'y' and then get
asked them again, answer 'y' again. Apparently the mail then gets sent
normally and shows up in the Gcc group.

> You may input an iso-8859-1 character with accent, then type `M-:
> (char-charset (char-after)) RET' on the character.

char-charset is not defined -- peeking at mm-util.el it might be
interesting to note that charset-after isn't defined either. This is
XEmacs-21.1.8 no-mule with the old SUMO tarball.

 Gunnar

* Re: I can't send non-ascii characters any more
@ 1999-12-14 20:37     ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    ZSH> If the message you sent out is OK, you may (setq
    ZSH> mml-confirmation-set '(unknown-encoding use-ascii))

    Laura> OK, it's set; if this gets out OK that's a fix.

It did get out ok, I should have said it's a workaround, but it does
seem to work.

--

@ 1999-12-14 20:36     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-14 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

ZSH> Do you use MULE or non-MULE XEmacs?

LC> non-Mule.

ZSH> You may input an iso-8859-1 character with accent, then type `M-:
ZSH> (char-charset (char-after)) RET' on the character.

LC> I get:

LC> Signaling: (void-function char-charset)

[...]

How about `M-: (mm-find-mime-charset-region (point-min) (point-max))
RET'?

ZSH> If it returns iso-8859-1, it should be OK. If it returns
ZSH> control-1 or so, that the trouble.

LC> If that's the command gnus is using to figure out the charset, I
LC> think there's a problem.

Wouldn't be. The function is only called after gnus fingure out it is
mule.

[...]

--
Shenghuo ZHU

@ 1999-12-14 20:27   ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    LC> Now when I type a word like Noël, when I try to send the
    LC> message, gnus tells me "Your message contains non-ascii
    LC> characters, really send?", and if I say "Yes", it asks if I
    LC> want to use ascii to

    ZSH> Do you use MULE or non-MULE XEmacs?

non-Mule.

    ZSH> You may input an iso-8859-1 character with accent, then type
    ZSH> `M-: (char-charset (char-after)) RET' on the character.

I get:

Signaling: (void-function char-charset)
  (char-charset (char-after))
)
  eval((char-charset (char-after)))
  #<compiled-function (expression &optional eval-expression-insert-value) "...(18)" [eval expression values prin1 eval-expression-insert-value t] 3 697698 (list (read-from-minibuffer "Eval: " nil read-expression-map t ...) current-prefix-arg)>((char-charset (char-after)) nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression)

@ 1999-12-14 20:24     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-14 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Shenghuo> Do you use MULE or non-MULE XEmacs?  Does the
Shenghuo> iso-accents-mode MULE compatible?

Shenghuo> You may input an iso-8859-1 character with accent, then type
Shenghuo> `M-: (char-charset (char-after)) RET' on the character.

Ted> \353

Shenghuo> If it returns iso-8859-1, it should be OK. If it returns
Shenghuo> control-1 or so, that the trouble.

Ted> When I try this I get "ascii".  I have an update from CVS from
Ted> last friday or so.

The character is not iso-8859-1, which means iso-accents-mode is not
MULE compatible, at least for the one you are using.

I guess you are using FSF Emacs. FSF Emacs and XEmacs are different in
this part. There is no MULE charset like control-1 in FSF Emacs, so
everything like this goes to ascii.

The problem Laura described would be a problem in FSF Emacs.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: I can't send non-ascii characters any more
@ 1999-12-14 19:51 ` Shenghuo ZHU
       [not found]   ` <yccogbtmgtz.fsf@orff.sea.tera.com>
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-14 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

LC> I seem to have lost my ability to send non-ascii characters.  I
LC> always used to go into iso-accents-mode and use the punctuation
LC> combinations, and it would work.  I have:

LC> (setq message-default-charset `iso-8859-1)

LC> in my .gnus.el.

LC> Now when I type a word like Noël, when I try to send the message,
LC> gnus tells me "Your message contains non-ascii characters, really
LC> send?", and if I say "Yes", it asks if I want to use ascii to

Do you use MULE or non-MULE XEmacs?  Does the iso-accents-mode MULE
compatible?

From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to have lost my ability to send non-ascii characters.  I always
used to go into iso-accents-mode and use the punctuation combinations,
and it would work.  I have:

(setq message-default-charset `iso-8859-1)

in my .gnus.el.

Now when I type a word like Noël, when I try to send the message, gnus