* I can't send non-ascii characters any more
@ 1999-12-14 18:46 Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to have lost my ability to send non-ascii characters.  I always
used to go into iso-accents-mode and use the punctuation combinations,
and it would work.  I have:

(setq message-default-charset `iso-8859-1)

in my .gnus.el.

Now when I type a word like Noël, when I try to send the message, gnus
tells me "Your message contains non-ascii characters, really send?",
and if I say "Yes", it asks if I want to use ascii to send, and
doesn't give me any other choices.  Is there something I should change
in my .gnus.el?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to have lost my ability to send non-ascii characters.  I always
used to go into iso-accents-mode and use the punctuation combinations,
and it would work.  I have:

(setq message-default-charset `iso-8859-1)

in my .gnus.el.

Now when I type a word like Noel, if I put a double dot over the e,
when I try to send the message, gnus tells me "Your message contains
non-ascii characters, really send?", and if I say "Yes", it asks if I
want to use ascii to send, and doesn't give me any other choices.  Is
there something I should change in my .gnus.el?

Not only is the sequence of questions confusing, but it looks to me
like the messages don't actually get sent, nor do they get saved in
the folder to which they should be gcc'd.

I get the following  trace in the SMTP session buffer:

220 gamesville.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:34:37 -0500
HELO acme47.nineco.com
250 gamesville.com Hello IDENT:lconrad@acme47.nineCo.com [192.168.0.54], pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM: <lconrad@gamesville.com>
250 <lconrad@gamesville.com>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <lconrad@world.std.com>
250 <lconrad@world.std.com>... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
.
250 OAA30254 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 gamesville.com closing connection

Process SMTP exited abnormally with code 256

I discussed this with our system manager, and he says there have been
no changes to the sendmail configuration on the smtp server.

I am able to send these characters fine with pgnus 0.98.