* day of week in Date header?
@ 2000-05-05 17:47 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-05 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

My Date header seems to contain the day of week, whereas most other
Date headers generated by Gnus don't.

Where does the day of week come from?

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: day of week in Date header?
@ 2000-05-05 18:59 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-05-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> My Date header seems to contain the day of week, whereas most other
KG> Date headers generated by Gnus don't.

KG> Where does the day of week come from?

The Date headers are generated by message-make-date. Are you using a
modified message-make-date?

--
Shenghuo

* Re: day of week in Date header?
@ 2000-05-05 20:58   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-05 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> The Date headers are generated by message-make-date. Are you using a
> modified message-make-date?

No.  Hm.  My outgoing messages don't have a Date header before I hit
C-c C-c, but that's normal for message-generate-headers-first being
nil, right?

And message-required-mail-headers contains `Date'.  Most amazing.
Hm.  Could it be that sendmail is frobbing the Date header?

Hm.  I've got the following section in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:

/----
| #########################
| #   Format of headers   #
| #########################
|
| H?P?Return-Path: <$g>
| HReceived: $?sfrom $s $.$?_($?s$|from $.$_)
| 	$.by $j ($v/$Z)$?r with $r$. id $i$?u
| 	for $u; $|;
| 	$.$b
| H?D?Resent-Date: $a
| H?D?Date: $a
| H?F?Resent-From: $?x$x <$g>$|$g$.
| H?F?From: $?x$x <$g>$|$g$.
| H?x?Full-Name: $x
| # HPosted-Date: $a
| # H?l?Received-Date: $b
| H?M?Resent-Message-Id: <$t.$i@$j>
| H?M?Message-Id: <$t.$i@$j>
\----

Does that mean that the Date header is stomped over by sendmail?  Hm.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-05 21:07     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-05-05 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>> The Date headers are generated by message-make-date. Are you using a
>> modified message-make-date?

KG> No.  Hm.  My outgoing messages don't have a Date header before I
KG> hit C-c C-c, but that's normal for message-generate-headers-first
KG> being nil, right?

KG> And message-required-mail-headers contains `Date'.  Most amazing.
KG> Hm.  Could it be that sendmail is frobbing the Date header?

KG> Hm.  I've got the following section in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:

[...]

KG> Does that mean that the Date header is stomped over by sendmail?  Hm.

All these settings are the same as mine. message-make-date is called
after you hit C-c C-c. What is the output of (message-make-date)?

(message-make-date)
=> 05 May 2000 17:06:46 -0400

--
Shenghuo

* Re: day of week in Date header?
@ 2000-05-05 21:56       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-05 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> All these settings are the same as mine. message-make-date is called
> after you hit C-c C-c. What is the output of (message-make-date)?
>
> (message-make-date)
> => 05 May 2000 17:06:46 -0400

(message-make-date)
=> "05 May 2000 23:56:06 +0200"

I'll debug-on-entry that function now.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-05 22:20         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-05 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> (message-make-date)
> => "05 May 2000 23:56:06 +0200"
>
> I'll debug-on-entry that function now.

I have now done this, and verified that message is indeed inserting
the right Date header into the message.  So I think that something
outside of Gnus, presumably sendmail, is twiddling with that header.

Thanks.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-06  4:09           ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2000-05-06  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have now done this, and verified that message is indeed inserting
> the right Date header into the message.  So I think that something
> outside of Gnus, presumably sendmail, is twiddling with that header.

I get this list from the news-server at sunsite.auc.dk, and I know that
it strips away the original date-header and inserts a new one -- this
happens to mailing list messages and normal Usenet messages, too. The
news-server at my ISP also does this.

I don't think this behaviour actually violates rfc-1036, but it /is/
wrong according to grandson-of-1036.

Cheers,
--
Jesper Harder    Use this information only for good; never for evil.
                 Do not expose to fire. Do not operate heavy

* Re: day of week in Date header?
@ 2000-05-06  7:52             ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2000-05-06  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <jesper_harder@hotmail.com> writes:

> I get this list from the news-server at sunsite.auc.dk, and I know that
> it strips away the original date-header and inserts a new one -- this
> happens to mailing list messages and normal Usenet messages, too. The
> news-server at my ISP also does this.

> I don't think this behaviour actually violates rfc-1036, but it /is/
> wrong according to grandson-of-1036.

It violates a MUST in the current USEFOR draft, for what it's worth, and
has been the cause of spews in the past.

* Re: day of week in Date header?
@ 2000-05-06 11:37             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-06 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jesper Harder <jesper_harder@hotmail.com> writes:

> I get this list from the news-server at sunsite.auc.dk, and I know that
> it strips away the original date-header and inserts a new one -- this
> happens to mailing list messages and normal Usenet messages, too. The
> news-server at my ISP also does this.

I'm subscribed directly to the mailing list and still see the day of
week.  Hm.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.