* gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-08-30 20:49 David Roth
From: David Roth @ 2000-08-30 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using gnome at the moment, and it lets you define a default mailto: handler (I wish to use it from
galeon).  I always have emacs and gnus loaded.

Basically I was wondering how to pass an email address (and maybe subject) to my gnus session from the
command line, and have it pop up a nice new compose message window in gnus.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

--
/-------------------------------------------------------\
| David Roth:                 david@linuxpunks.net      |

* Re: gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-08-31  7:57 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-31  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 30 Aug 2000, David Roth wrote:

> Basically I was wondering how to pass an email address (and maybe
> subject) to my gnus session from the command line, and have it pop
> up a nice new compose message window in gnus.

You can install gnuserv which comes with the gnudoit program.  This
can be used to tell a running Emacs to execute arbitrary Lisp code,
including:

(compose-mail "to-address" "subject")

If you wish to start a new Emacs instance:

emacs --eval '(compose-mail "to-address" "subject")'

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-09-05 14:36 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2000-09-05 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

 DR> Basically I was wondering how to pass an email address (and maybe
 DR> subject) to my gnus session from the command line, and have it
 DR> pop up a nice new compose message window in gnus.

I once used the following script, but you'll want to call
`compose-mail', not `mail', and I think the args are different.  See
etc/MORE.STUFF for gnuserv/gnudoit.

#! /bin/sh

# For MMM.  Invoked as `mailto -s <subject> <address>'

gnudoit "(mail nil \"$3\" \"$2\")" >/dev/null

* Re: gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-09-06 12:29   ` David Roth
From: David Roth @ 2000-09-06 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
thanks for both yours and Kai's reply.  I should have mentioned that I wished to use
gnus-group-mail instead of compose-mail.  But this doesn't seem to take any arguments, so I ended
up copying and modifying gnus-group-mail to the following:

(require 'gnus-msg)
(defun dxr-group-mail (To Subject)
  "Start composing a mail."
  (interactive)
  (gnus-setup-message 'message
  (message-mail To Subject)))

which seems to work the way I want, when I call it from gnudoit.  I'm sure there's probably a better
way to do it though!

Thanks for the pointers in the right direction.

Dave

--
/-------------------------------------------------------\

@ 2000-09-08 22:30     ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2000-09-08 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

 DR> thanks for both yours and Kai's reply.  I should have mentioned
 DR> that I wished to use gnus-group-mail instead of compose-mail.

I don't understand why, if you're not in a Gnus group.

`compose-mail' can invoke an agent of your choice.  I use this to get
Gcc: processing:

(defun gnus-msg-mail (&rest args)
  "Start editing a mail message to be sent."
  (interactive)
  (require 'gnus-msg)
  (gnus-setup-message 'message
    (apply 'message-mail args)))
(define-mail-user-agent 'my-message-user-agent
      'gnus-msg-mail 'message-send-and-exit
      'message-kill-buffer 'message-send-hook)
(setq mail-user-agent 'my-message-user-agent)

* Re: gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-09-09  9:46       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-09  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Dave Love wrote:

>  DR> thanks for both yours and Kai's reply.  I should have mentioned
>  DR> that I wished to use gnus-group-mail instead of compose-mail.
>
> I don't understand why, if you're not in a Gnus group.

(gnus-group-mail is used when NOT in a group; when in a group,
gnus-summary-mail or gnus-summary-mail-other-window is used.)

Using gnus-group-mail rather than message-mail has the advantage that
the former deals with Gcc headers.  Lots of people (well, more than a
dozen or so) have expressed the wish of having Gcc headers when
composing a message from BBDB, say.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-09-10 17:45         ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2000-09-10 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 KG> (gnus-group-mail is used when NOT in a group;

Sorry, M-% in RET on RET

 KG> when in a group, gnus-summary-mail or
 KG> gnus-summary-mail-other-window is used.)

 KG> Using gnus-group-mail rather than message-mail has the advantage
 KG> that the former deals with Gcc headers.

I know, but it's not a solution to a suitable `mail-user-agent', and
it does a bunch of stuff that only looks relevant if it's invoked from
within Gnus.

Is there something wrong with the code I posted?

 KG> Lots of people (well, more than a dozen or so) have expressed the
 KG> wish of having Gcc headers when composing a message from BBDB,
 KG> say.

I guess they haven't done it in a very appropriate place.  If I know
what people want specifically or what's wrong with a solution based on
what I posted, I'll consider it.

* Re: gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-09-11 15:23           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Dave Love wrote:

> Is there something wrong with the code I posted?

Argh.  I didn't look at the code.  Silly me.

Provided that the code works (and I'm sure of that, even though I
haven't tried it), the only thing that could still be considered wrong
is that it doesn't come with Gnus.  WIBNI users could just M-x
customize-variable RET mail-user-agent RET and make the right choice?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: gnus and mailto:
@ 2000-09-12 14:13             ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2000-09-12 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 KG> WIBNI users could just M-x customize-variable RET mail-user-agent
 KG> RET and make the right choice?

That's what I was offering.  I'll do it at some stage.