* nnfolder woes
@ 1997-10-28 16:00 Tony Bennett
From: Tony Bennett @ 1997-10-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnus5.5

I'm trying to use GNUS to read mail for the first time.

Am having problems seting up nnfolder for mailing lists (using procmail).

procmail spools into ~/Spool/rtems, ~/Spool/bbdb, etc.
I want to have the mbox files stored in ~/Mail/Lists/rtems, bbdb, etc.

This is what I have so far:

    (setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)
    (setq nnmail-use-procmail t)
    (setq nnmail-procmail-directory "~/Spool/")
    (setq nnmail-procmail-suffix "")

    (setq nnmail-split-methods nil)
    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "")))

Server nnfolder:mailinglists looks like this:

    (nnfolder "mailinglists"
          (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/Lists/")
          (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/Lists/active")
          (nnfolder-get-new-mail t))

I created group nnfolder:ml.ding using 'G m' and then edited its
select method to look like:

    (nnfolder ""
          'nnfolder:mailinglists)

When I try to select group nnfolder:ml.ding, GNUS complains: Can't select group

--tony

* Re: nnfolder woes
@ 1997-10-28 16:23 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-10-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Tony> Server nnfolder:mailinglists looks like this:

  Tony>     (nnfolder "mailinglists"
  Tony>           (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/Lists/")
  Tony>           (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/Lists/active")
  Tony>           (nnfolder-get-new-mail t))

  Tony> I created group nnfolder:ml.ding using 'G m' and then edited its
  Tony> select method to look like:

  Tony>     (nnfolder ""
  Tony>           'nnfolder:mailinglists)

Make this (nnfolder "mailinglists").  I'm not sure if it works,
though.

Please note that you do not have to have different servers just to
have different groups.  You can store your mailing list mail together
with your normal mail in the same server.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: nnfolder woes
@ 1997-10-28 16:38   ` Tony Bennett
From: Tony Bennett @ 1997-10-28 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony> Server nnfolder:mailinglists looks like this:

Tony> (nnfolder "mailinglists"
Tony> (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/Lists/")
Tony> (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/Lists/active")
Tony> (nnfolder-get-new-mail t))

Tony> I created group nnfolder:ml.ding using 'G m' and then edited its
Tony> select method to look like:

Tony> (nnfolder ""
Tony> 'nnfolder:mailinglists)

Kai> Make this (nnfolder "mailinglists").  I'm not sure if it works,
Kai> though.

This didn't help.  Still get: Can't select group

It did seem to create a (uneditable) new server, tho.  So now I have
2 named 'nnfolder:mailinglists' :-(

Does anyone have a working example of nnfolder & procmail usage?
Didn't see one in sample gnus.el files.

thanks

--tony

* Re: nnfolder woes
@ 1997-10-30  8:11     ` Peter Riocreux
From: Peter Riocreux @ 1997-10-30  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>>"TB" == Tony Bennett <tbennett@chapelhill.hp.com> writes:

 Tony> Server nnfolder:mailinglists looks like this:

 Tony> (nnfolder "mailinglists" (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/Lists/")
 Tony> (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/Lists/active")
 Tony> (nnfolder-get-new-mail t))

 Tony> I created group nnfolder:ml.ding using 'G m' and then edited
 Tony> its select method to look like:

 Tony> (nnfolder "" 'nnfolder:mailinglists)

 Kai> Make this (nnfolder "mailinglists").  I'm not sure if it works,
 Kai> though.

 TB> This didn't help.  Still get: Can't select group

 TB> It did seem to create a (uneditable) new server, tho.  So now I
 TB> have 2 named 'nnfolder:mailinglists' :-(

 TB> Does anyone have a working example of nnfolder & procmail usage?
 TB> Didn't see one in sample gnus.el files.

I think you will find the problem is the line:
    (setq nnmail-use-procmail t)

I assumed that this had to be set thus in odrder to make nnmail use
procmail, but this is no so.  I am not sure what the factory setting
is, but I just don't change it and everything workd with an otherwise
almost identical setup to you.

HTH

BTW.  Can anyone tell me how to unsubscribe from this list - all
normal majordomo methods have failed me so far (ding-request@,
majordomo@ etc.).  I don't even get a response from ding-request.

Pete

--
Peter Riocreux, Amulet Group, Dept. Computer Science, Manchester University,
Oxford Road, MANCHESTER, M13 9PL, UK.      <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/amulet/>