From: jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bien)
Cc: Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu>, Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru>
Subject: Re: Проба пера 1 Prôbá pèrå 2
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 08:46:00 +0100	[thread overview]

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>VV> The "*Raw MIME preview ...*" buffer is not in raw encoding but in
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>VV> cyrillic-koi8 (status line contains "-R:%*").

This seems to be a common confusion (I am sensitive to it because it
took me quite long to realize it myself). The notion of encoding
(coding system) does not apply to the buffer content. Setting the
coding system to `cyrillic-koi8' affects only how the buffer context
will be represented when you save it in a file, put it in a
kill-ring etc. C-U C-X = allows you to check whether it is at all
possible to represent a character with the current coding system.

>It is because Emacs can not render some 8bit characters right.

There are only two kinds of buffer: multibyte and unibyte. In
multibyte buffer (as I mentioned in one of my previous postings) some
8-bit characters are interpreted as `leading bytes' starting a
multibyte representation of a character.

You cannot set a coding system for a unibyte buffer. If you see "-R"
(or just "--") in the status line, this means that you are looking at
a multibyte buffer.

>It is OK for me, possibly because I am using chinese-iso-8bit.
>Anyway, I force Gnus use a binary buffer to send mails, so please test
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>it again after checking out the CVS version.

In other words, you use a unibyte buffer to send mails, and in a
unibyte buffer all 8-bit characters are just 8-bit characters. So
your solution used for `chinese-iso-8bit' should work also for
`cyrillic-koi8'.

Best regards

Janusz

                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW
Prof. Janusz S. Bien, Warsaw Uniwersity
Na tym koncie czytam i wysylam poczte i wiadomosci offline -
prosze nie oczekiwac szybkiej odpowiedzi!
Data w naglowku to data rozpoczecia pisania listu, a nie jego wyslania.
On this account I read/post mail/news offline - do not expect
an immediate answer!
The date in the header refers to the moment when I started to write
the letter, not to the moment when I sent it.