* pgp problem?
@ 2000-12-13 15:09 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2000-12-13 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since upgrading to a recent CVS version of gnus, I now get the following
error when reading certain messages:

        (file-error Searching for program No such file or directory pgp),
        continue?(y or n) Yes

What's going on and what do I do about it?

TIA!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 928-4640
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

microsoft: "where do you want to go today?"
linux:     "where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD:       "are you guys coming, or what?"

* Re: pgp problem?
@ 2000-12-13 15:27 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-13 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 13 Dec 2000, Jake Colman wrote:

>         (file-error Searching for program No such file or directory
>         pgp), continue?(y or n) Yes
>
> What's going on and what do I do about it?

Gnus wants to check PGP-signed messages.  Do you have pgp installed?
If not, you could just install it, and be a happy camper.

kai

* Re: pgp problem?
@ 2000-12-13 16:02   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2000-12-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

    KG> On 13 Dec 2000, Jake Colman wrote:
    >> (file-error Searching for program No such file or directory pgp),
    >> continue?(y or n) Yes
    >>
    >> What's going on and what do I do about it?

    KG> Gnus wants to check PGP-signed messages.  Do you have pgp installed?
    KG> If not, you could just install it, and be a happy camper.

Ok, Kai, go with that.  From where do I download a pgp package?  Any
suggestions?

--

@ 2000-12-13 16:23     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-12-13 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> On 13 Dec 2000, Jake Colman wrote:
>>> (file-error Searching for program No such file or directory pgp),
>>> continue?(y or n) Yes
>>>
>>> What's going on and what do I do about it?

KG> Gnus wants to check PGP-signed messages.  Do you have pgp installed?
KG> If not, you could just install it, and be a happy camper.

> Ok, Kai, go with that.  From where do I download a pgp package?  Any
> suggestions?

Actually, I thought the default in recent CVS snapshots was to not
check signatures... I don't *think* I did anything to make the
automatic checking go away.  It just happened after a cvs update a
month or so ago.

--
Dave Goldberg
dsg@world.std.com

* Re: pgp problem?
@ 2000-12-13 17:10     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 13 Dec 2000, Jake Colman wrote:

> Ok, Kai, go with that.  From where do I download a pgp package?  Any
> suggestions?

http://www.pgp.com/ comes to mind for Merkins, http://www.pgpi.org/
for people outside the US.

But if you are running Linux or a free BSD, chances are there's a PGP
package available for your system.  You just need to do whatever you
do to install packages for your distribution/system.

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Dec 2000, David S. Goldberg wrote:

> Actually, I thought the default in recent CVS snapshots was to not
> check signatures... I don't *think* I did anything to make the
> automatic checking go away.  It just happened after a cvs update a
> month or so ago.

Right.  I thought maybe Gnus wants to find a pgp binary anyway?  Hm.

kai

* Re: pgp problem?
@ 2000-12-13 20:43       ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2000-12-13 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 || On 13 Dec 2000 19:20:14 +0100
 || Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

 >> Ok, Kai, go with that.  From where do I download a pgp package?
 >> Any suggestions?

 kg> http://www.pgp.com/ comes to mind for Merkins,
 kg> http://www.pgpi.org/ for people outside the US.

 kg> But if you are running Linux or a free BSD, chances are there's a
 kg> PGP package available for your system.  You just need to do
 kg> whatever you do to install packages for your distribution/system.

Although it should be said that there is an OpenPGP compliant
implementation available by the GNU Project: GNU Privacy Guard. It can
be found at http://www.gnupg.org/ and packages exist for all GNU/Linux
distributions afaik.

Regards,
                Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                       <greve@gnu.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe	             (http://www.fsfeurope.org)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 268 bytes --]

* Re: pgp problem?
@ 2000-12-13 22:02         ` Mike Pullen
From: Mike Pullen @ 2000-12-13 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I alway get [PGP Signed Part:Failed] when trying to verify a signature.
When I click on this button I get the following errors:

gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
gpg: armor header: Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.5 and Gnu Privacy Guard <http://www.gnupg.org/>
gpg: Signature made Wed 13 Dec 2000 02:43:42 PM CST using DSA key ID 86574ACA

Does gpg.el need to see the PGP signature at the end of the message?
Gnus keeps hiding it, even though I have gnus-treat-strip-pgp set to
nil.

Any ideas?

--
Mike Pullen
http://www.midwest.net/scribers/mpullen

* Re: pgp problem?
@ 2000-12-13 23:42           ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-12-13 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Pullen <mpullen@midwest.net> writes:

> I alway get [PGP Signed Part:Failed] when trying to verify a
> signature. When I click on this button I get the following errors:
>
> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: armor header: Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.5 and Gnu Privacy Guard <http://www.gnupg.org/>
> gpg: Signature made Wed 13 Dec 2000 02:43:42 PM CST using DSA key ID 86574ACA
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
>
> Does gpg.el need to see the PGP signature at the end of the message?
> Gnus keeps hiding it, even though I have gnus-treat-strip-pgp set to
> nil.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have the public keys for those people in your keyring? Without
that key, gpg cannot do anything about verifying the signature.

The easiest automatic way to have that work is to add a keyserver to
your gpg configuration file, such as:

,----[ ~/.gnupg/options ]
| keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net
`----

Then gpg will try and fetch the public key from that keyserver if it
does not already have it. The gpg manual has more information on this, I
think.

        Daniel

--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
        -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum