* Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-17 16:44 Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2001-03-17 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just started using Oort to play with GPG, and I've noticed that it
doesn't automatically verify sigs.  One has to click the button or do
a W s.

Any way to get that to happen automatically?  I didn't see a
gnus-treat variable that seemed to be associated.

How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on.

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-17 16:52 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-03-17 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Just started using Oort to play with GPG, and I've noticed that it
> doesn't automatically verify sigs.  One has to click the button or do
> a W s.
>
> Any way to get that to happen automatically?  I didn't see a
> gnus-treat variable that seemed to be associated.

(setq mm-verify-option 'known)

ShengHuo

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-17 16:52 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-03-17 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

(setq mm-verify-option 'known)

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-17 19:23   ` Shigeki Uno
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Shigeki Uno @ 2001-03-17 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-17 19:53     ` Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 2001-03-17 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

oops, previous email i sent didn't complain of gpg verify and
succeeded in verifying this time (it's for the first time).

i've never seen such success. ;)

(1) minibffer

  Good signature from
            'Shigeki Uno (UNO PROJECT) <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>'

(2) body

  [[PGP Signed Part:OK]]

  snip

  [[End of PGP Signed Part]]

# i don't know why i scceed this time.

shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp (Shigeki Uno) writes:

> Hi, ding users.
>
> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
> > Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:
> >
> > > Just started using Oort to play with GPG, and I've noticed that it
> > > doesn't automatically verify sigs.  One has to click the button or do
> > > a W s.
> > >
> > > Any way to get that to happen automatically?  I didn't see a
> > > gnus-treat variable that seemed to be associated.
> >
> > (setq mm-verify-option 'known)
>
> as for me, it complains the following error in mini buffer.
>
>  BAD SIGNATURE claiming to be from
>              'Shigeki Uno (UNO PROJECT) <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>'
>
> is something wrong with my Gnupg-1.0.4?
>
> and also, even if i don't set (setq mm-verify-option 'known), my emails
> these are pgp(gpg)'ed always has been shown like this:
>
>  [[PGP Signed Part:Failed]]
>
>  snip
>
>  [[End of PGP Signed Part]]
>
> am i wrong?
>

> Gnus/5.090001 (Oort Gnus v0.01)
> emacs 20.7
> Gnupg-1.0.4
>
> Regards,
> --
> Shigeki Uno <mailto:shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>

- --

@ 2001-03-18  1:28     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-03-18  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Mar 2001, Shigeki Uno wrote:
> Hi, ding users.
>
> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:
>>
>> > Just started using Oort to play with GPG, and I've noticed that it
>> > doesn't automatically verify sigs. One has to click the button or
>> > do a W s.
>> >
>> > Any way to get that to happen automatically?  I didn't see a
>> > gnus-treat variable that seemed to be associated.
>>
>> (setq mm-verify-option 'known)
>
> as for me, it complains the following error in mini buffer.
>
>  BAD SIGNATURE claiming to be from
>              'Shigeki Uno (UNO PROJECT) <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>'
>
> is something wrong with my Gnupg-1.0.4?

Probably not. I am willing to bet that when you middle-click
button2 on the [[PGP Signed Part:Failed]] button, it tells you that you
don't have the public key for that person installed.

The easy way to deal with this, especially if you have 24/7 Internet, is
to configure GPG to automatically fetch keys from one of the Internet
PGP keyservers.

        Daniel

--
Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In the
long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost.

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-18  2:07     ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-03-18  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shigeki> Hi, ding users.

[...]

Shigeki> as for me, it complains the following error in mini buffer.

Shigeki>  BAD SIGNATURE claiming to be from 'Shigeki Uno (UNO PROJECT)
Shigeki> <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>'

Shigeki> is something wrong with my Gnupg-1.0.4?

I don't know.  I do know that your message's signature failed, with
"No details."  When I look in the *MailCrypt* buffer, it says:

unknown hash: unable to verify signature.

I can see other people's signatures for the most part.

I'm using: PGP for Personal Privacy Version:  unix50i1b

Now, what *I*'d like to see is a hack to bbdb such that every time I
successfully validate someone's signature, their bbdb record is
updated such that mail I send to them is encrypted by default.  If
that makes any sense.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at tbe dot net

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 277 bytes --]

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-21 22:21       ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2001-03-21 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

    DP> Probably not. I am willing to bet that when you middle-click button2
    DP> on the [[PGP Signed Part:Failed]] button, it tells you that you don't
    DP> have the public key for that person installed.

In my case it says 'cannot open load file'.  I think I have gpgp installed
correctly.  Any ideas how to figure this out?

    DP> The easy way to deal with this, especially if you have 24/7 Internet,
    DP> is to configure GPG to automatically fetch keys from one of the
    DP> Internet PGP keyservers.

I have a permanent connection.  How do I go about doing this?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 928-4640
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-22  2:10         ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2001-03-22  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

>     DP> The easy way to deal with this, especially if you have 24/7 Internet,
>     DP> is to configure GPG to automatically fetch keys from one of the
>     DP> Internet PGP keyservers.
>
> I have a permanent connection.  How do I go about doing this?

| `mm-verify-option' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "/home/sw/cmarquar/emacs/gnus/lisp/mm-decode.elc"
|
| Value: known
|
| Documentation:
| Option of verifying signed parts.
| `never', not verify; `always', always verify;
| `known', only verify known protocols. Otherwise, ask user.

HTH,
  Colin

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-22  3:01         ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-03-22  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Mar 2001, Jake Colman wrote:

>     DP> Probably not. I am willing to bet that when you middle-click
>     DP> button2 on the [[PGP Signed Part:Failed]] button, it tells you
>     DP> that you don't have the public key for that person installed.
>
> In my case it says 'cannot open load file'. I think I have gpgp
> installed correctly. Any ideas how to figure this out?

Sounds suspiciously like you don't. Try M-x show-message-log, or setting
`debug-on-error t' and see if you can work out what it's failing to
load.

You do have, er, gpg.el from the Gnus contrib directory in the loadpath,
yes?

What is the value of `mml2015-verify-function'? That controls what
crypto support package is attempted to be used.

>     DP> The easy way to deal with this, especially if you have 24/7
>     DP> Internet, is to configure GPG to automatically fetch keys from
>     DP> one of the Internet PGP keyservers.
>
> I have a permanent connection.  How do I go about doing this?

Read the GPG `options' file. They have comments at the bottom of it
indicating how to do this.

Given the error you report, though, this wont help 'til after you fix
the loading thing.

        Daniel

--
There are certain undeniable moments of change that never
stop mattering. Waiting for conditions to be just right for

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-22 18:19           ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2001-03-22 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

<blush>

Would you believe that I had somehow forgotton this?  I byte-compiled and
loaded gpg.el and gpg-ring.el and tried again.  This time I fail with a
message that my tmp directory must have mode 0700.  The problem is that I
think it does!

drwx--l---   2 colman   research      96 Dec 28 14:17 tmp/

Yes, I verified that 'gpg-temp-directory' points to the proper directory.
Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks!

--

@ 2001-03-22 20:34             ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-03-22 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
> This time I fail with a message that my tmp directory must have mode
> 0700.  The problem is that I think it does!
>
> drwx--l---   2 colman   research      96 Dec 28 14:17 tmp/

What does that 'l' mean?  I've never seen anything like that before.

paul

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-22 21:47               ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2001-03-22 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

No idea what the 'l' means.  What does 'chmod 0700' do anyway?

--

@ 2001-03-22 22:47                 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-03-22 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
> No idea what the 'l' means.  What does 'chmod 0700' do anyway?

Make the file accessible for reading, writing, and execution (for
regular files)/anything else (for directories) for the owner, and
completely inaccessible for anyone else.  It should result in
"drwx------".

paul

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-23  1:39               ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2001-03-23  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Jarc <prj@po.cwru.edu> writes:
> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

>> This time I fail with a message that my tmp directory must have mode
>> 0700.  The problem is that I think it does!

>> drwx--l---   2 colman   research      96 Dec 28 14:17 tmp/

You have it set mode 2700 instead of 700.

> What does that 'l' mean?  I've never seen anything like that before.

Mandatory access locking.  It's Solaris-specific and is turned on if
something is setgid but not group-executable.

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-23 15:54                 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-03-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
> Paul Jarc <prj@po.cwru.edu> writes:
> > Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
> >> This time I fail with a message that my tmp directory must have mode
> >> 0700.  The problem is that I think it does!
>
> >> drwx--l---   2 colman   research      96 Dec 28 14:17 tmp/
>
> You have it set mode 2700 instead of 700.

Ok, I'm used to seeing that as "drwx--S---" on Linux, where it
probably means something different.  chmod g-s should turn it off,
though that may not have anything to do with your problem.

paul

* Re: Force Oort to verify sigs?
@ 2001-03-26 17:20                   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2001-03-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

OK, we're getting places.

I now get the following errors:

[[PGP Signed Part:Failed]
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: armor header: Hash: SHA1
gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.1 (GNU/Linux)
gpg: armor header: Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org
gpg: original file name=''
gpg: Signature made Sat Mar 24 08:53:01 2001 EST using DSA key ID 806C804B

Command exit status: 2
]

Any idea where I go from here?

--

@ 2001-03-26 17:56                     ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-03-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> OK, we're getting places.
>
> I now get the following errors:
>
> [[PGP Signed Part:Failed]
> gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
> gpg: armor header: Hash: SHA1
> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.1 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: armor header: Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org
> gpg: original file name=''
> gpg: Signature made Sat Mar 24 08:53:01 2001 EST using DSA key ID 806C804B
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
>
> Command exit status: 2
> ]
>
> Any idea where I go from here?

Either you need to download the public key yourself, or set the
keyserver option in ~/.gnupg/options:

keyserver <server>

--
Josh Huber