* upgrade 5.9.0 -> Oort 0.04 CVS ==> Kaboing!
@ 2001-12-09 10:10 Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2001-12-09 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

As you might surmise from the subject, I upgraded from 5.9.0 to Oort 0.04
from CVS, and Gnus decided to go for a walk on the wild side, as the funky
bunch say.

Specifically, it was as if gnus completely forgot about the marks in my mail
and news groups (everything was unmarked).  I tried rebuilding the nov files
(I'm using nnml, but since I had the same prob with nntp groups, I doubt
that the problem lay there), and that didn't help.  ended up resorting to
manually marking what I wanted and expiring/catching up on the rest.  Is
this a known behaviour?  Does it serve me right for upgrading to a CVS
version? (I am mostly interested in updated support for nnwarchive and other
interesting backends).

Any info appreciated,
--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org

* Re: upgrade 5.9.0 -> Oort 0.04 CVS ==> Kaboing!
@ 2001-12-09 12:12 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-12-09 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ami Fischman <usenet@fischman.org> writes:

> Specifically, it was as if gnus completely forgot about the marks in my mail
> and news groups (everything was unmarked).  I tried rebuilding the nov files
> (I'm using nnml, but since I had the same prob with nntp groups, I doubt
> that the problem lay there), and that didn't help.  ended up resorting to
> manually marking what I wanted and expiring/catching up on the rest.  Is
> this a known behaviour?  Does it serve me right for upgrading to a CVS
> version? (I am mostly interested in updated support for nnwarchive and other
> interesting backends).

This isn't a known behaviour, to me at least.

Oort Gnus introduced ".marks" files for nnml which move the
information stored in .newsrc.eld into a file within each group.

But nntp groups doesn't grok it, so if you have this problem in both
nnml and nntp something else is causing it.  Could you make a M-x
gnus-bug RET report so we can see what your config is?  Do you have a
backup of your files, and can reproduce this behaviour?  What does `G
E' say for a group which lost all its marks, in 5.9.0, and in Oort
after starting it the first time, and in Oort after trying to enter
the group?

* Re: upgrade 5.9.0 -> Oort 0.04 CVS ==> Kaboing!
@ 2001-12-09 20:03   ` Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2001-12-09 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> Oort Gnus introduced ".marks" files for nnml which move the
> information stored in .newsrc.eld into a file within each group.

Hmm..  The .marks files exist now.  In retrospect, I suspect perhaps an
aborted first attempt to run oort a few weeks ago created empty .marks file
which then caused oort now to ignore the data in my .newsrc.eld.  Perhaps
oort should be told to examine .newsrc.eld vs .marks files at startup, and
if the former contain "more" info (for some suitable value of "more"), the
.marks files should be rewritten.  perhaps the "more" in the previous
sentence should just check whether .marks is empty and .newsrc.eld still has
5.9.0-style info.

> But nntp groups doesn't grok it, so if you have this problem in both
> nnml and nntp something else is causing it.  Could you make a M-x
> gnus-bug RET report so we can see what your config is?  Do you have a

Appended after .sig.  Somewhat edited, but nothing that should throw you off
(famous last words).

> backup of your files, and can reproduce this behaviour?  What does `G
> E' say for a group which lost all its marks, in 5.9.0, and in Oort
> after starting it the first time, and in Oort after trying to enter
> the group?

Don't have backups of orig files, but I still have one foreign NNTP group
that refuses to remember that I've caught up with it (consistently shows
>1000 msgs as unread).  _that_ group's 'G E' says:

("nntp+news.opera.no:opera.linux" 4
 ((1 . 7871))
 ((seen
   (7871 . 8007)
   (8009 . 8019)
   (8021 . 8141)
   (8143 . 8216)
   (8218 . 8741)
   (8743 . 8748)
   (8750 . 8759)
   (8761 . 8831)
   (8833 . 8880))
  (save 7871))
 (nntp "news.opera.no")
 ((timestamp 15379 14058)))

and is showing "1017" messages as unread in the *Group* buffer...

Thanks for any insight,
--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org

Oort Gnus v0.04
GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2001-10-22 on zion
200 quimby.gnus.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.2.2 13-Dec-1999 ready (posting ok).

[-- Attachment #2: User settings --]
[-- Type: application/x-emacs-lisp, Size: 5163 bytes --]

* Re: upgrade 5.9.0 -> Oort 0.04 CVS ==> Kaboing!
@ 2001-12-09 20:13     ` Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2001-12-09 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ami Fischman <usenet@fischman.org> writes:

[...]

> Don't have backups of orig files, but I still have one foreign NNTP group
> that refuses to remember that I've caught up with it (consistently shows
> >1000 msgs as unread).  _that_ group's 'G E' says:

To clarify, what happens is: starting gnus, I see a large # of msgs in the
group.  If I enter it, almost all of the articles are marked 'Y' (since I
have killed most of them, and adaptive scoring is on).  I can read/kill/mark
the rest of the articles, and upon exiting the group, the *Group* buffer
doesn't show any more messages needing reading in the group.  However, if I
restart gnus, suddenly the *Group* buffer says >1000 articles again...

--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org