* utf-8 for decoding mails, but composing eeventually with iso-latin-9
@ 2003-03-03 16:55 Christoph Conrad
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2003-03-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Oliver Scholz

Hi,

Oliver Scholz has helped me using utf-8 for displaying / writing utf-8
mails. For several reasons i want to be able (a) to override the utf-8
default to something like iso-latin-9, e.g. when writing to people
using older mailclients. On the other side i want to (b) have
iso-latin-9 as standard encoding for files, not! utf-8.

I achieved (b) with

,----[ .emacs.el ]
| (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
| (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system
|       (coding-system-change-eol-conversion
|        'iso-latin-9 ;; default-buffer-file-coding-system
|        nil))
`----

Now: How do i achive (a)?

Beste Grüße,
cu, -cc-
--
Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers.
     Pablo Picasso

* Re: utf-8 for decoding mails, but composing eeventually with iso-latin-9
@ 2003-03-03 17:18 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-03 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Oliver Scholz has helped me using utf-8 for displaying / writing utf-8
> mails. For several reasons i want to be able (a) to override the utf-8
> default to something like iso-latin-9, e.g. when writing to people
> using older mailclients. On the other side i want to (b) have
> iso-latin-9 as standard encoding for files, not! utf-8.

Why not just use the default behavior?  I think the default behavior
is to use an iso-8859 encoding if possible, and only if that is not
possible, use utf-8.  That appears to be a very sensible thing to do.

* Re: utf-8 for decoding mails, but composing eeventually with iso-latin-9
@ 2003-03-03 17:21   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2003-03-03 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Kai,

    > I think the default behavior is to use an iso-8859 encoding if
    > possible, and only if that is not possible, use utf-8. That
    > appears to be a very sensible thing to do.

Sounds good - but for me the default seems to always use utf-8. Now i use:

,----
| ;; Preferred coding systems for encoding outgoing mails.
| (setq mm-coding-system-priorities '(iso-latin-9))
`----

How to achive YOUR solution? (sounds better for me).

Beste Grüße,
cu, -cc-
--

@ 2003-03-03 17:54 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-03-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Oliver Scholz

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Oliver Scholz has helped me using utf-8 for displaying / writing utf-8
> mails. For several reasons i want to be able (a) to override the utf-8
> default to something like iso-latin-9, e.g. when writing to people
> using older mailclients. On the other side i want to (b) have
> iso-latin-9 as standard encoding for files, not! utf-8.
>
> I achieved (b) with
>
> ,----[ .emacs.el ]
> | (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> | (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system
> |       (coding-system-change-eol-conversion
> |        'iso-latin-9 ;; default-buffer-file-coding-system
> |        nil))
> `----
>
> Now: How do i achive (a)?

Put <#part charset=iso-8859-9> before the text.

OTOH, you could try

 '(mm-coding-system-priorities (quote (iso-latin-1 iso-latin-9)))

instead of all what you are doing now.  Then you will compose in the
systems' locale but it will be downgraded to latin-1 if possible, or
latin-9 if possible.  No need to specify things manually.

I believe that most europeans are happy with a rule that chosed ASCII
if possible, then the lowest X that makes ISO-8859-X work (which
includes eventually choosing ISO-8859-15 for euro signs), and finally
UTF-8.  I run emacs in an UTF-8 locale and use the above setting, so I
get this algorithm.

* Re: utf-8 for decoding mails, but composing eeventually with iso-latin-9
@ 2003-03-03 20:18     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Sounds good - but for me the default seems to always use utf-8.

Do you have a UTF-8 locale?

Do you have (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)?

Turn it off.

Maybe I should go back and reread your description how you got utf-8
in the first place...

* Re: utf-8 for decoding mails, but composing eeventually with iso-latin-9
@ 2003-03-03 20:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-03 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> I achieved (b) with
>
> ,----[ .emacs.el ]
> | (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> | (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system
> |       (coding-system-change-eol-conversion
> |        'iso-latin-9 ;; default-buffer-file-coding-system
> |        nil))
> `----
>
> Now: How do i achive (a)?

My suggestion for achieving the default behavior (use utf-8 only if
necessary) was to comment out the above statements from .emacs.

* Re: utf-8 for decoding mails, but composing eeventually with iso-latin-9
@ 2003-03-03 21:54       ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2003-03-03 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Oliver Scholz

Hi Kai,

    > Do you have (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)?
    > Turn it off.

Yes - that is it! Now utf-8 is used when an iso-encoding isn't
sufficient.

Beste Grüße,
cu, -cc-
--

@ 2003-03-04  8:17         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-04  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Kai,
>
>     > Do you have (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)?
>     > Turn it off.
>
> Yes - that is it! Now utf-8 is used when an iso-encoding isn't
> sufficient.

Now you know why I didn't have to do anything :-)