From: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: nnimap usage model
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:51:22 +0100	[thread overview]

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

>   When Gnus is plugged, it is not efficient to download headers or
>   articles from the server again, if they are already stored in the
>   Agent.  So, Gnus normally only downloads headers once, and stores them
>   in the Agent.  These headers are later used when generating the
>   summary buffer, regardless of whether you are plugged or unplugged.
>   Articles are not cached in the Agent by default though (that would
>   potentially consume lots of disk space), but if you have already
>   downloaded an article into the Agent, Gnus will not download the
>   article from the server again but use the locally stored copy instead.
>
>   This behaviour can be controlled by `gnus-agent-cache' (*Note Agent
>   Variables::).
>
> English is my first language and I admittedly had to read this twice.

Well said.  :-)

Is the following correct?  Or rather, which parts of it are wrong?

Originally, the Agent was intended for offline reading: you download
headers and/or articles and then go offline and then Gnus uses the
locally stored data.  However, it turns out that the Agent is useful
even while you're online: it is usually faster to read headers and
articles from the local disk rather than from the network.
In that case, it's obviously useful to have some data on the local
disk in the first place.  But you don't want to have too much data on
the local disk, lest it burst.  So, what's a Gnus to do?

It turns out that the Gnus Towers decided that the following
compromise would be right for you.  However, Gnus is Gnus and thus
it goes without saying that you can configure this default behavior.

So, say that you enter a group and hence Gnus downloads the headers
for this group.  The default behavior is to store the headers locally.
So when you enter the group later on, the old headers can be fetched
from the local disk, and only the new headers have to be downloaded.
Good.  So what about articles?  Well, if an article happens to be on
the local disk already, Gnus will not fetch it from the network again
and instead use the local copy.  But on the other hand, Gnus does not
by default store every article you read on the local disk, as that
might consume too much disk space.

The previous description holds when the variable `gnus-agent-cache'
is non-nil, which is the default.  (*Note Agent Variables::).

If `gnus-agent-cache' is nil, then Gnus will not store headers or
articles locally, and it will not read locally stored headers or
articles.

    CCC: Kevin, Simon, is the previous paragraph correct?

Above, it was said that articles are not automatically stored locally
when you read them, while Gnus is plugged.  But what if I have a big
disk, you cry.  Don't worry!  You can use one of the following two
lines in ~/.emacs or ~/.gnus:

    (add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)
    (add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)

It does not make sense to use both lines.  The difference between the
two lines is subtle.  The first line says, whenever you select an
article for reading, Gnus looks if it is on disk already, and if no,
then it is stored.  The second line says that Gnus only looks when you
select the article for the first time.

    CCC: Anyone, did I get the subtle difference right?  I kind of
    doubt it.  It's so subtle...

***

OK.  So much for the stuff that could be in that node of the info
file.  Now we need a better description of the variable
gnus-agent-cache.  I think the current description in `Agent
Variables' is misleading.  According to the description there, only
the reading is affected.  But I guess that also the storing of the
NOV data is affected.  Anyone?

--
A turnip curses Elvis