* Gnus-slave forgets news marks, remembers mail marks
@ 2003-05-19 21:02 Joseph Barillari
From: Joseph Barillari @ 2003-05-19 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

On a typical day, I check my mail and news from a half-dozen or more
different computers. Each time, I open an ssh connection to my home
pc, bring up a new instance of emacs, and run `gnus-slave`. I also
have a long-running emacs process on the same pc, which is running
gnus (rather than gnus-slave).

Gnus-slave does a fine job of remembering my mail marks (e.g., if I
mark a message as read, gnus remembers that it's been read).

Not so with news: if I mark a news article as read in gnus-slave,
close that instance of emacs, then (later) launch another gnus-slave
session, the article still shows up as unread.

Is there any way to eliminate this behavior? Perhaps by signaling the
long-running process to read the slave newsrcs?

I'm also curious as to why it doesn't affect mail -- only news.

Thanks in advance,

--Joe

--
Joseph Barillari -- http://barillari.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Gnus-slave forgets news marks, remembers mail marks
@ 2003-05-19 21:18 ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2003-05-19 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joseph Barillari <jbarilla@princeton.edu> writes:

> Gnus-slave does a fine job of remembering my mail marks (e.g., if I
> mark a message as read, gnus remembers that it's been read).
>
> Not so with news: if I mark a news article as read in gnus-slave,
> close that instance of emacs, then (later) launch another gnus-slave
> session, the article still shows up as unread.

Also gnus-slave shows news groups as having unread articles in groups
where I have previously (before starting the emacs with gnus-slave)
read all articles in the "main" gnus. I always respond "yes" to the
question of whether to read the gnus autosave file.

* Re: Gnus-slave forgets news marks, remembers mail marks
@ 2003-05-21  6:21 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-21  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joseph Barillari <jbarilla@princeton.edu> writes:

> Gnus-slave does a fine job of remembering my mail marks (e.g., if I
> mark a message as read, gnus remembers that it's been read).
>
> Not so with news: if I mark a news article as read in gnus-slave,
> close that instance of emacs, then (later) launch another gnus-slave
> session, the article still shows up as unread.
>
> Is there any way to eliminate this behavior? Perhaps by signaling the
> long-running process to read the slave newsrcs?

You could run gnuserv on the long-running process and then eval the
right Lisp expression using gnudoit.  (Not sure if emacsclient as of
Emacs 21.3 groks the -e option.  If it does, you can also use that.)

> I'm also curious as to why it doesn't affect mail -- only news.

nnml groups store their marks in the .marks file.  But there is no
corresponding file for nntp groups.  Maybe that's the reason.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Gnus-slave forgets news marks, remembers mail marks
@ 2003-08-14  0:24   ` Joseph Barillari
From: Joseph Barillari @ 2003-08-14  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: kai.grossjohann

    KG> You could run gnuserv on the long-running process and then
    KG> eval the right Lisp expression using gnudoit.  (Not sure if
    KG> emacsclient as of Emacs 21.3 groks the -e option.  If it does,
    KG> you can also use that.)

Something like this?

(add-hook 'gnus-slave-mode-hook 'ask-master-to-update-newsrcs)

(defun ask-master-to-update-newsrcs ()
  (message "Telling master to read slave newsrcs.")
  (shell-command "gnuclient -q -batch -f gnus-master-read-slave-newsrc")
)

--Joe

--
Joseph Barillari -- http://barillari.org