* Manage todo items with Gnus
@ 1999-02-14 22:27 Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-02-14 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject pretty much sez it all.  This is pre-alpha code.  Hacked it
together in two hours.  Would appreciate your input.

kai `short sentence.  good sentence.'
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

[-- Attachment #2: todo-gnus.el --]

* Re: Manage todo items with Gnus
@ 1999-02-17 12:03 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-02-17 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Feb 14, 1999, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE wrote:

> Subject pretty much sez it all.  This is pre-alpha code.  Hacked it
> together in two hours.  Would appreciate your input.

I've also been using gnus groups for to-do lists, but I have several
categorized groups, and I use nnml, just like for all the rest of my
e-mail.

It would be great if to-do were not a gnus back-end, just a minor mode
that could be plugged onto any other e-mail back-ends.  This would
obviate the need for managing mbox files, avoinding gettign new mail,
etc.  I.e., it would only have to manage priorities.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}

* Re: Manage todo items with Gnus
@ 1999-02-23  3:04   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-02-23  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai.Grossjohann, ding

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 721 bytes --]

Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br> writes:

> It would be great if to-do were not a gnus back-end, just a minor
> mode that could be plugged onto any other e-mail back-ends.  This would
> obviate the need for managing mbox files, avoinding gettign new mail, etc.
> I.e., it would only have to manage priorities.

I'm not sure of what the idea behind the description above.

For TODO files, I just use `allout' mode, and like it very much.  It is
exactly what I need.  Isn't Gnus something quite complex, just to manage
a TODO list?  What would be the incentive?

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

* Re: Manage todo items with Gnus
@ 1999-02-23 13:03     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-02-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Oliva, Kai.Grossjohann, ding

You could use automatic expiry so you never feel too far behind in your todo
list!  I like it!

You could also do less useful things, like eventually honor outlook schedule
requests from within gnus or something like that.

-bp

@ 1999-02-23 14:02       ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-02-23 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Oliva, Kai.Grossjohann, ding

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1007 bytes --]

"William M. Perry" <wmperry@aventail.com> écrit:

> You could use automatic expiry so you never feel too far behind in your todo
> list!  I like it!

A good laugh to start the day :-).  Thanks!

> You could also do less useful things, like eventually honor outlook schedule
> requests from within gnus or something like that.

By "eventually", you mean that the possibility does not exist, don't you?
Where I often work, I'm taking care of a little island of Unix systems plain
lost in a sea of WinNT servers and stations, filling offices on every floor.
Those Outlook schedule requests do fly around like hell, without touching
me.  I sometimes feel like the Christ walking over the water :-).  Yet,
if something exists in or around Gnus that would remove this supra-natural
protection, I might try to lift it and see how quickly I will then drawn...

--

@ 1999-02-23 22:22     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-02-23 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai.Grossjohann, ding

On Feb 23, 1999, François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br> writes:

>> It would be great if to-do were not a gnus back-end, just a minor
>> mode that could be plugged onto any other e-mail back-ends.  This would
>> obviate the need for managing mbox files, avoinding gettign new mail, etc.
                                                 ^          ^^
Jeez!  Where's my spell checker! :-)

> For TODO files, I just use `allout' mode, and like it very much.  It is
> exactly what I need.  Isn't Gnus something quite complex, just to manage
> a TODO list?  What would be the incentive?

The point is that my mailbox is my to-do list; I mark messages that
need attention/reply and look at them in my second pass of mail
reading.  If they remain unattended for a while, or I know I won't
have time to work on them in the near future, I just move them into
one of my todo groups, all of them listed in a TODO topic whose
contents are usually hidden, so that long-term to-do items don't get
mixed up with short-term ones, and I don't have to be remembered of
their existence all the time :-)

--

@ 1999-02-24 15:42         ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-02-24 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Oliva, Kai.Grossjohann, ding

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> "William M. Perry" <wmperry@aventail.com> écrit:
>
> > You could use automatic expiry so you never feel too far behind in your todo
> > list!  I like it!
>
> A good laugh to start the day :-).  Thanks!
>
> > You could also do less useful things, like eventually honor outlook schedule
> > requests from within gnus or something like that.
>
> By "eventually", you mean that the possibility does not exist, don't you?

Correct.

> Where I often work, I'm taking care of a little island of Unix systems
> plain lost in a sea of WinNT servers and stations, filling offices on
> every floor.  Those Outlook schedule requests do fly around like hell,
> without touching me.  I sometimes feel like the Christ walking over the
> water :-).  Yet, if something exists in or around Gnus that would remove
> this supra-natural protection, I might try to lift it and see how quickly
> I will then drawn...

Some people at our office have started using exchange for scheduling, and
it is already annoying.  My stance is typically to tell them to send me
something I can actually use.  By just ignoring all those MS-Word files
that get sent around, I can get a lot more work done. :)

But it might be handy to deal with meeting requests from gnus or vm.

-Bill P.