* request for ideas: organizing old email in gnus?
@ 2001-12-05 16:32 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2001-12-05 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Come 2002, I'm going to organize all of my ancient pre-gnus email and
all of my pre-2002 gnus email into one gnus tree, and index it all for
searching with nnir.  Then I'll make the jump to hyperspace and start
a new, better-organized gnus tree with daily syncing between work and
home and daily indexing.

I'm toying with ideas about how to organize all the old stuff.  Has
anyone else done something like this, and how did you organize it?

For example, would you respool into groups containing thousands of
emails, or into smaller monthly or yearly groups, such as ding-1998-03
for ding messages from March 1998?  I'm leaning toward the latter
since summary generation would be faster in case I needed to browse
the group, but threading might get messy/b0rken.

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: request for ideas: organizing old email in gnus?
@ 2001-12-05 16:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-05 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> For example, would you respool into groups containing thousands of
> emails, or into smaller monthly or yearly groups, such as ding-1998-03
> for ding messages from March 1998?  I'm leaning toward the latter
> since summary generation would be faster in case I needed to browse
> the group, but threading might get messy/b0rken.

If you choose large enough chunks (eg, yearly rather than monthly),
then you could manually make sure to copy whole threads.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: request for ideas: organizing old email in gnus?
@ 2001-12-05 17:16   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-12-05 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
>> For example, would you respool into groups containing thousands of
>> emails, or into smaller monthly or yearly groups, such as ding-1998-03
>> for ding messages from March 1998?  I'm leaning toward the latter
>> since summary generation would be faster in case I needed to browse
>> the group, but threading might get messy/b0rken.
>
> If you choose large enough chunks (eg, yearly rather than monthly),
> then you could manually make sure to copy whole threads.

I've tinkered a lot with this sort of stuff.  Depending on size I
think you will find that above 2-3 thousand messages is a pain to deal
with due to summary generation or any other process that works against
the whole group or most of it.  All those cool features are nice but
they do cost something in process time.  Maybe you could cancel some
of the more expensive ones in Group param or gnus-parameters.  I've
never tried that.

I haven't done this either but you might consider breaking it up on a
size basis rather than date.  Confining each group to 2000 or less,
would gaurentee easy manipulation.

I would go for monthly chunks (again, depending on size) which could be
organized under topics too I guess, but I was never to thrilled with
topics.

You will break more threads with monthly chunks but I think it is
unavoidable and the `^' command will still chase down a reference
(assuming nnml).

An nnir search would still find subject line regardless of group if
you give it an (groups) inclusive command.

In brief:  If you expect to do browsing as in a regular group then go
for the smaller size.  `A T' won't retrieve a full thread if it is
broken but `^' will.

If you expect to mainly pull out info with search engines then large
size may be better.

Not sure what `A T' might do under a topic but where the the actual
messages are in two difffernet groups but under the same topic.

* Re: request for ideas: organizing old email in gnus?
@ 2001-12-07 12:42 ` Raphaël Berbain
From: Raphaël Berbain @ 2001-12-07 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White writes:

> For example, would you respool into groups containing thousands of
> emails, or into smaller monthly or yearly groups, such as ding-1998-03
> for ding messages from March 1998?  I'm leaning toward the latter
> since summary generation would be faster in case I needed to browse
> the group, but threading might get messy/b0rken.

You could have the best of both solutions: Split your mail on a
monthly basis, so groups are small enough to be handled easily.  Use
virtual groups to collect your mail in a big yearly group when you
need to manipulate more than a month at a time.

--
Raphaël