* POP3 mail worries
@ 2000-01-14 21:04 Frank Hart
From: Frank Hart @ 2000-01-14 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Okay, I'm at forehand very sorry, but I'm trying to use Gnus as my mail
reader for a week now and it's just not working. I used Gnus a (long)
time ago with my local spool and that went fine. All the subscribed
newsgroups are showing and every change I make in .gnus has the desired
affect, except mail ;-(
I've checked if the mail groups were zombies, but that wasn't the case.
Also, the slashdot option isn't working yet, but I admit I haven't put
very much effort into this.

Here's my (still young) .gnus:
;; Setup file for Gnus
;; Frank Hart <frhart@home.nl>

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.groni1.gr.nl.home.com"))
(setq gnus-secundary-select-methods
	'(nnslashdot ""))
(setq mail-sources
	'(pop
	 :server "mail.home.nl"
	 :user "******"
	 :password "*******"))
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)
(setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
(setq gnus-save-killed-list nil)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-netscape)
(setq gnus-expert-user t)
(setq gnus-subscribe-topics t)

I don't get any errors when starting Gnus either. So I guess you can say
I'm somewhat lost here...

TIA for any help.

--
Frank Hart - mailto:frhart@home.nl
SuSE Linux 6.3 - Kernel 2.2.14 on a i686 450 Mhz with 128 Mb RAM

* Re: POP3 mail worries
@ 2000-01-14 22:37 ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2000-01-14 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Frank Hart <frhart@home.nl> writes:

> (setq mail-sources
> 	'(pop
> 	 :server "mail.home.nl"
> 	 :user "******"
> 	 :password "*******"))

AFAIK, you've got a typo here: mail-sources is an alist of sources,
thus you might try

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "mail.home.nl"
             :user ....
             :password)))

HTH,
norbert.
--
..  I don't know why but, suddenly, I want to discuss declining I.Q.
 LEVELS with a blue ribbon SENATE SUB-COMMITTEE!

* Re: POP3 mail worries
@ 2000-01-14 23:20   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-14 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <norbert@s.netic.de> writes:

> AFAIK, you've got a typo here: mail-sources is an alist of sources,

Minor nitpick: mail-sources is a list of lists, not an alist.  If it
were an alist, it would also be a list of lists (well, a list of
conses, but that's not the point), and the first item in each list
would be a key, and for a given key, only the first entry would be
used.  If it was an alist, you could only have one pop mail source,
but you can have several, and they'll all be processed.

Just picking nits...

kai

* Re: POP3 mail worries
@ 2000-01-15  7:58     ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2000-01-15  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Minor nitpick: mail-sources is a list of lists, not an alist.  If it
> were an alist, it would also be a list of lists (well, a list of
> conses, but that's not the point), and the first item in each list
> would be a key, and for a given key, only the first entry would be
> used.  If it was an alist, you could only have one pop mail source,
> but you can have several, and they'll all be processed.

Thanks Kai,

I had 'list of sources', looked at it and - plain wrong - thought, no
it's an alist - duh.

norbert.
--
WHO sees a BEACH BUNNY sobbing on a SHAG RUG?!