* another Emacs 25 (?) issue with attachments: cannot change file name
@ 2019-05-04 23:49 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-05-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've now experienced another attachments issue
since upgrading to Emacs 25 [1]. It seems
I cannot change the file name as I download
(move) it (the attachment) to the prefered
destination on my drive - I can only pick
the location!

After typing the path, hitting RET will have
the file end up there, yes, but typing the path
_and a new filename_ will say [No match]
instead of, as before, rename the file
as entered as well.

To not do this anymore, I do
`gnus-summary-save-parts', then just hit RET
until it asks for the location, which I type
and then hit RET.

[1] GNU Emacs 25.1.1
    (arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf, GTK+ Version
    3.22.11) of 2017-09-16, modified by Debian

    Gnus v5.13

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: another Emacs 25 (?) issue with attachments: cannot change file name
@ 2019-05-05 11:46 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-05-05 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sunday,  5 May 2019 at 01:49, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> After typing the path, hitting RET will have
> the file end up there, yes, but typing the path
> _and a new filename_ will say [No match]
> instead of, as before, rename the file
> as entered as well.

I wonder: are you using some type of completion system, e.g. ido, ivy,
helm?  If so, could this be the problem?  I have no problems with
attachments in gnus.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.3 on Debian buster/sid

* Re: another Emacs 25 (?) issue with attachments: cannot change file name
@ 2019-05-05 22:10   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-05-05 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric S Fraga wrote:

> I wonder: are you using some type of
> completion system, e.g. ido, ivy, helm?
> If so, could this be the problem? I have no
> problems with attachments in gnus.

OK, good. No, I don't have any
completion system.

--

@ 2019-05-20 15:33     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-05-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I wonder: are you using some type of
>> completion system, e.g. ido, ivy, helm?
>> If so, could this be the problem? I have no
>> problems with attachments in gnus.
>
> OK, good. No, I don't have any
> completion system.

Now I have the problem nailed down, actually to
the point it isn't a problem anymore!

I always used `gnus-summary-save-parts', and
I remember this giving me the opportunity to
change filenames. However it just reports
[No match]

But now I start to doubt my memory - maybe
I used gnus-summary-save-parts when I was fine
with the filenames, and when I wasn't, I just
pushed the button(s) the usual way?

If no one did anything radical to
gnus-summary-save-parts from Emacs 24 to
Emacs 25, I think it is safe to say I was wrong
in this particular issue, and in time, I hope
to be forgiven ... :))

Be that as it may, a sort-of
gnus-summary-save-parts, including the wildcard
possibility, *but* with a loop to let the user
specify every single path including filename -
that would be a cool, but perhaps not acute,
feature to add.

Think about it!

--
https://dataswamp.org/~incal