* Losing dormant marks in nnimap groups
@ 2000-08-15 15:03 John S Cooper
From: John S Cooper @ 2000-08-15 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I make an article dormant in an nnimap group, the ? mark is displayed and
`/ d' and `/ D' hide and show the article, as expected.

However, if I leave the group and then reenter, the article is now shown with
the "old" O mark, i.e., the ? mark is lost.  I do not see this problem with
ticked articles.

I do use auto-expiry (and wonder if this might be causing problems?)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

    --- John

* Re: Losing dormant marks in nnimap groups
@ 2000-08-15 17:43 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2000-08-15 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

John S Cooper <John.Cooper@eu.citrix.com> writes:

> However, if I leave the group and then reenter, the article is now shown with
> the "old" O mark, i.e., the ? mark is lost.  I do not see this problem with
> ticked articles.
>
> I do use auto-expiry (and wonder if this might be causing problems?)

Same happens here, and I use nnml and total-expire, so no, I don't
think is auto-expiry related. I tried tracing the code from
`gnus-summary-exit' on, and unfortunately I couldn't find where the
problem lies, the group info is updated correctly, so maybe in the
last face (when the file is written) dormant marks are lost. :-(

I added `gnus-summary-save-newsrc' to my `gnus-summary-exit-hook' a
few weeks ago, and I noticed this problem last week, so this might be
related, but I don't have time to test this right now, anyone?

-- Francisco

* Re: Losing dormant marks in nnimap groups
@ 2000-09-08 17:47 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-09-08 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

John S Cooper <John.Cooper@eu.citrix.com> writes:

> When I make an article dormant in an nnimap group, the ? mark is displayed and
> `/ d' and `/ D' hide and show the article, as expected.
>
> However, if I leave the group and then reenter, the article is now shown with
> the "old" O mark, i.e., the ? mark is lost.  I do not see this problem with
> ticked articles.

I think this might be a configuration issue and not a nnimap problem,
as Francisco Solsona reported similar problems with nnml.  I'm not
able to reproduce it with either backend.

However, dormant articles are marked as ticked by nnimap to accomodate
for other IMAP clients. (There isn't a standard "dormant" flag in the
IMAP protocol.)  This meant that all dormant articles automatically
got a ticked flag.  This is now fixed in CVS, dormant articles are
marked as ticked for other clients, but nnimap hide the tick mark for
Gnus on dormant articles.  (This make it impossible to mark an article
as both dormant and ticked, but this is treated as a ticked article
anyway so I don't think it matter.)