* nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-12  2:27 nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2011-02-12  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I was reading gmane.emacs.gnus.general and read the message
from Norbet Koch with the subject "Re: Your public key".

I typed ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and got the
message:

   No such function: nnregistry-request-group

I now saw in the *Summary* buffer:

 n/a│O  │nobody                 ║  ●  (none)

I tried `^' again and saw another line (now two identical lines):

 n/a│O  │nobody                 ║  ●  (none)
 n/a│O  │nobody                 ║  ●  (none)

I went to the *Server* buffer (gnus-group-enter-server-mode)
and saw:

     {nnregistry:nil} (denied)

I tried `O' (gnus-server-open-server) and got:

  Couldn't open nnregistry:nil

In the *Message* buffer I saw:

Opening nnregistry server on nil...
Denied server nnregistry
Opening nnregistry server on nil...failed:
xding
gnus-request-group: No such function: nnregistry-request-group

I also got a backtrace (3 screen full) which I can send,
if requested.

Not sure how nnregistry got enabled or why there is a "No such
function" message for `nnregistry-request-group'.

What are the ramifications if I just `k' (gnus-server-kill-server) ?

I'm  using that latest (as of today February 11th) Gnus from bzr.

Thanks.

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-13 19:31 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-13 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nyc4bos@aol.com writes:

> I was reading gmane.emacs.gnus.general and read the message
> from Norbet Koch with the subject "Re: Your public key".

> I typed ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and got the
> message:
>
>    No such function: nnregistry-request-group

And that function really doesn't exist.

What's your `gnus-refer-article-method' variable?

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-20  5:48   ` nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2011-02-20  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> nyc4bos@aol.com writes:
>
>> I was reading gmane.emacs.gnus.general and read the message
>> from Norbet Koch with the subject "Re: Your public key".

>> I typed ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and got the
>> message:
>>
>>    No such function: nnregistry-request-group
>
> And that function really doesn't exist.
>
> What's your `gnus-refer-article-method' variable?

Value: (current
 (nnregistry)
 (nnweb "google"
	(nnweb-type google)))

Original value was current

Maybe something in Gnus has changed but I got this off
of this list.

If I just remove it, will that harm anything?

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-20  7:57     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-20  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nyc4bos@aol.com writes:

> Value: (current
>  (nnregistry)
>  (nnweb "google"
> 	(nnweb-type google)))

I don't think that's supposed to work...

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-24 10:55       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2011-02-24 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> nyc4bos@aol.com writes:
>
>> Value: (current
>>  (nnregistry)
>>  (nnweb "google"
>> 	(nnweb-type google)))
>
> I don't think that's supposed to work...

That’s the way it is supposed to work (info "(gnus) Registry Article
Refer Method").

Ludo’.

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-24 10:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2011-02-24 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

nyc4bos@aol.com writes:

> I was reading gmane.emacs.gnus.general and read the message
> from Norbet Koch with the subject "Re: Your public key".

> I typed ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and got the
> message:
>
>    No such function: nnregistry-request-group
>
> I now saw in the *Summary* buffer:
>
>  n/a│O  │nobody                 ║  ●  (none)

I get the same situation, which indicates that nnregistry couldn’t find
the article in the registry; *Messages* shows this:

  nnregistry: requesting article `fake+none+gmane.emacs.gnus.general+-2' in group `nil'
  Fetched article <87y65ouqa5.fsf@keller.adm.naquadah.org>
  No such article (may have expired or been canceled)

I agree that this is suboptimal but I’m not sure what to do.

Ludo’.

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-24 16:31   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-24 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:58:03 +0100 ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

>> I was reading gmane.emacs.gnus.general and read the message
>> from Norbet Koch with the subject "Re: Your public key".

>> I typed ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and got the
>> message:
>>
>> No such function: nnregistry-request-group
>>
>> I now saw in the *Summary* buffer:
>>
>> n/a│O  │nobody                 ║  ●  (none)

LC> I get the same situation, which indicates that nnregistry couldn’t find
LC> the article in the registry; *Messages* shows this:

LC>   nnregistry: requesting article `fake+none+gmane.emacs.gnus.general+-2' in group `nil'
LC>   Fetched article <87y65ouqa5.fsf@keller.adm.naquadah.org>
LC>   No such article (may have expired or been canceled)

LC> I agree that this is suboptimal but I’m not sure what to do.

The fake article shouldn't be displayed?

Ted

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-25  3:34         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-25  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> That’s the way it is supposed to work (info "(gnus) Registry Article
> Refer Method").

Ah, right.  But why did the original poster then get

  No such function: nnregistry-request-group

Which is correct.  It doesn't exist...

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-28 13:10     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2011-02-28 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:58:03 +0100 ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>>> I was reading gmane.emacs.gnus.general and read the message
>>> from Norbet Koch with the subject "Re: Your public key".

>>> I typed ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and got the
>>> message:
>>>
>>> No such function: nnregistry-request-group
>>>
>>> I now saw in the *Summary* buffer:
>>>
>>> n/a│O  │nobody                 ║  ●  (none)
>
> LC> I get the same situation, which indicates that nnregistry couldn’t find
> LC> the article in the registry; *Messages* shows this:
>
> LC>   nnregistry: requesting article `fake+none+gmane.emacs.gnus.general+-2' in group `nil'
> LC>   Fetched article <87y65ouqa5.fsf@keller.adm.naquadah.org>
> LC>   No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
>
> LC> I agree that this is suboptimal but I’m not sure what to do.
>
> The fake article shouldn't be displayed?

There should be a message indicating that the article couldn’t be found
but the summary should be left as is, I think (like when hitting ^ on a
message with no references.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: nnregistry problem
@ 2011-02-28 18:45       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:10:55 +0100 ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

LC> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

LC> I get the same situation, which indicates that nnregistry couldn’t find
LC> the article in the registry; *Messages* shows this:
>>
LC> nnregistry: requesting article `fake+none+gmane.emacs.gnus.general+-2' in group `nil'
LC> Fetched article <87y65ouqa5.fsf@keller.adm.naquadah.org>
LC> No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
>>
LC> I agree that this is suboptimal but I’m not sure what to do.
>>
>> The fake article shouldn't be displayed?

LC> There should be a message indicating that the article couldn’t be found
LC> but the summary should be left as is, I think (like when hitting ^ on a
LC> message with no references.)

Can you do this or should I (or Lars) get to it?

Thanks
Ted