* emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-04 10:34 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-04 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Whats the relationship, if any, between Gnus in Emacs 24 from bzr and
NoGnus? Will NoGnus from github become the Gnus that ships with Emacs
24? Or even when does NoGnus became Gnus?

thanks for any info,

r.

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-04 10:44 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-01-04 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: nognus

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Whats the relationship, if any, between Gnus in Emacs 24 from bzr and
> NoGnus? Will NoGnus from github become the Gnus that ships with Emacs
> 24?

The official Gnus repository is not on github, it is
http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git.  But anyway: the master branch of that
repository is synched with the emacs trunk regularily right now, so the
Emacs 24.1 release will come with some version of NoGnus but rebranded
to Gnus v5.13.

At some point in time, there will be a feature freeze on the emacs
branch for the 24.1 release, and then the Gnus git master branch will
drift away from the version bundled in emacs.

I hope that's more or less correct. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-04 11:06   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-04 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: nognus

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Whats the relationship, if any, between Gnus in Emacs 24 from bzr and
>> NoGnus? Will NoGnus from github become the Gnus that ships with Emacs
>> 24?
>
> The official Gnus repository is not on github, it is
> http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git.  But anyway: the master branch of that

Ah yes, typo on my part. I almost think of git as "gitgub" now ...

> repository is synched with the emacs trunk regularily right now, so the
> Emacs 24.1 release will come with some version of NoGnus but rebranded
> to Gnus v5.13.

I have an urge to move to emacs 24 ... Yeah, I know, "why bother" but
its fun... I just wonder how far back my Gnus will then lag.

> At some point in time, there will be a feature freeze on the emacs
> branch for the 24.1 release, and then the Gnus git master branch will
> drift away from the version bundled in emacs.
>
> I hope that's more or less correct. ;-)

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it'll b e corrected by someone if not
correct ;)

btw, while you're there and without me digging around in the manual how
do I stop follow up (F) including my own email when I am cc'd? OK, I'll
go look in the manual ...

> Bye,
> Tassilo

cheers

r.

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-04 11:14     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-01-04 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:06:14 +0100, Richard wrote:

> I have an urge to move to emacs 24 ... Yeah, I know, "why bother" but
> its fun... I just wonder how far back my Gnus will then lag.

You can still use Gnus from git with Emacs 24? :-)

> btw, while you're there and without me digging around in the manual how
> do I stop follow up (F) including my own email when I am cc'd? OK, I'll
> go look in the manual ...

Maybe:

,----[ C-h v message-dont-reply-to-names RET ]
| message-dont-reply-to-names is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is
| "\\(asjo\\|\\|adam\\)@\\(koldfront.dk\\|asjo.org\\)"
| Original value was nil
|
| Documentation:
| *Addresses to prune when doing wide replies.
| This can be a regexp or a list of regexps.  Also, a value of nil means
| exclude your own user name only.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 21.1 of Emacs.
`----

  Best regards,

--
 "Accept the mystery!"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-04 11:58       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-04 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:06:14 +0100, Richard wrote:
>
>> I have an urge to move to emacs 24 ... Yeah, I know, "why bother" but
>> its fun... I just wonder how far back my Gnus will then lag.
>
> You can still use Gnus from git with Emacs 24? :-)

That is true, but I think I probably stick with the released Gnus at
some point ( if I ever get my spam-split working again - I still havent
see a working one with nnmail and nnimap split settings) as I had a few
bad experiences with losing email in the last mad development phase
which saw the brilliant IMAP improvements.

>> btw, while you're there and without me digging around in the manual how
>> do I stop follow up (F) including my own email when I am cc'd? OK, I'll
>> go look in the manual ...
>
> Maybe:
>
> ,----[ C-h v message-dont-reply-to-names RET ]
> | message-dont-reply-to-names is a variable defined in `message.el'.
> | Its value is
> | "\\(asjo\\|\\|adam\\)@\\(koldfront.dk\\|asjo.org\\)"
> | Original value was nil
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *Addresses to prune when doing wide replies.
> | This can be a regexp or a list of regexps.  Also, a value of nil means
> | exclude your own user name only.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
> | version 21.1 of Emacs.
> `----
>
>   Best regards,

ah yes! I knew there was something ;) But mine is nil so what is my "own
user name" ... I'll dig around.

Many thanks for the info,

regards

r.

--
☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://splash-of-open-sauce.blogspot.com/ http://www.richardriley.net

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-04 12:01     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-01-04 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: nognus

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>> repository is synched with the emacs trunk regularily right now, so
>> the Emacs 24.1 release will come with some version of NoGnus but
>> rebranded to Gnus v5.13.
>
> I have an urge to move to emacs 24 ... Yeah, I know, "why bother" but
> its fun... I just wonder how far back my Gnus will then lag.

You mean how often the Gnus git master is synched to the emacs trunk?
Hm, pretty often, sometimes several times a week, sometimes less often.
I think Katsumi Yamaoka does that as often as he find some time.  It's a
partly manual job, because the synchronization is bidirectional.

> btw, while you're there and without me digging around in the manual
> how do I stop follow up (F) including my own email when I am cc'd? OK,
> I'll go look in the manual ...

,----[ C-h v message-dont-reply-to-names RET ]
| message-dont-reply-to-names is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is
| "\\(?:h\\(?:\\(?:eimdall\\|orn\\)@uni-koblenz\\.de\\)\\|t\\(?:assilo@member\\.fsf\\.org\\|\\(?:horn\\(?:\\(?:\\+news\\)?@fastmail\\.f\\)\\|sdh80@g\\(?:\\(?:oogle\\)?mail\\.co\\)\\)m\\)\\)"
| Original value was nil
|
| Documentation:
| *Addresses to prune when doing wide replies.
| This can be a regexp or a list of regexps.  Also, a value of nil means
| exclude your own user name only.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 21.1 of Emacs.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-04 12:04         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-01-04 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> That is true, but I think I probably stick with the released Gnus at
> some point

That was my plan back in 1997.

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-09 14:10         ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2011-01-09 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> That is true, but I think I probably stick with the released Gnus at
> some point ( if I ever get my spam-split working again - I still havent
> see a working one with nnmail and nnimap split settings) as I had a few
> bad experiences with losing email in the last mad development phase
> which saw the brilliant IMAP improvements.

I concur. The excellent IMAP speed improvements aren't enough to
compensate for my inability to get fancy splitting working (although
that's not a new-versus-old-gnus issue -- just a
fancy-split-is-hard-to-get-working one). While I was spending time
wrestling with lisp, my email backlog grew to over 500 messages. And
then it grew further, to almost 1000, when at one point Gnus decided to
mark all my messages as read and I had no choice but to unmark enough
back in time so as to be sure I caught everything I hadn't yet handled!

Given that one of the reasons I moved to gnus was because of its support
for org-mode and org-mode itself is hard enough to learn, I'm
temporarily (I hope) having to revert to gmail via a browser (cue sound
of chicken clucking :-) ), at least until such times as I've gotten my
arms around org and can maybe have another crack at fancy splitting.

Tommy

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-09 14:43           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommy Kelly; +Cc: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> That is true, but I think I probably stick with the released Gnus at
>> some point ( if I ever get my spam-split working again - I still havent
>> see a working one with nnmail and nnimap split settings) as I had a few
>> bad experiences with losing email in the last mad development phase
>> which saw the brilliant IMAP improvements.
>
> I concur. The excellent IMAP speed improvements aren't enough to
> compensate for my inability to get fancy splitting working (although
> that's not a new-versus-old-gnus issue -- just a
> fancy-split-is-hard-to-get-working one). While I was spending time
> wrestling with lisp, my email backlog grew to over 500 messages. And
> then it grew further, to almost 1000, when at one point Gnus decided to
> mark all my messages as read and I had no choice but to unmark enough
> back in time so as to be sure I caught everything I hadn't yet
> handled!

I have posted my set up a few times now and its still not working and I
still havent seen a working set up. Is it really the case that no one
else is using imap with spam-split?

> Given that one of the reasons I moved to gnus was because of its support
> for org-mode and org-mode itself is hard enough to learn, I'm
> temporarily (I hope) having to revert to gmail via a browser (cue sound
> of chicken clucking :-) ), at least until such times as I've gotten my
> arms around org and can maybe have another crack at fancy splitting.

Or do what I do : mark the mail with imap labels using gmail filters :
they correspond to your gnus folders.

Despite splitting being a bit complicated and not working in my case, Gnus is still the
numero uno mail reader ;)

* Re: emacs 24 and gnus
@ 2011-01-09 16:39             ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2011-01-09 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: ding

> Or do what I do : mark the mail with imap labels using gmail filters :
> they correspond to your gnus folders.

Yeah, I'm kinda doing that so I have less work to do when I have
another go with gnus. But gmail filters aren't up to much. For a
start, you can't control the order of execution. In fact I already
have an even better solution. We completely mirror our entire mail
setup in a regular IMAP (cyrus I think) server, complete with sieve
(and spamassassin). But something happened recently in gnus which
completely busted my access to it (I go via an ssh tunnel). It insists
on trying to go in via TLS and since I'm tunneling I need a plain
network connection. That's the only reason I've bothered messing with
gnus fancy splitting in the first place.

Anyway, I haven't given up -- just need to back off a bit so I can
actually *do* some work for a while. Ah'll be buck :-)