* a strange green line at my left margin in gnus
@ 2023-10-31 15:50 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-31 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I attach a screenshot, but since yesterday evening all my message
buffers have a green vertical line at the left margin. I don't recall
having changed anything in my gnus setting.

Any idea?

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Hamas atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: gnus.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 217227 bytes --]

* Re: a strange green line at my left margin in gnus
@ 2023-10-31 15:55 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-10-31 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

That looks like the fringe.  Do other buffers show this as well?  Check
the fringe face maybe?
--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.1

* Re: a strange green line at my left margin in gnus
@ 2023-10-31 16:09 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2023-10-31 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I attach a screenshot, but since yesterday evening all my message
> buffers have a green vertical line at the left margin. I don't recall
> having changed anything in my gnus setting.

The issue might arise from the combination of multiple themes. Could you
kindly try using "M-x disable-theme" to deactivate each theme one at a
time? After that, you can apply your preferred theme with "M-x
load-theme" followed by the theme's name.

* Re: a strange green line at my left margin in gnus
@ 2023-10-31 16:48   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-31 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> That looks like the fringe.  Do other buffers show this as well?  Check
> the fringe face maybe?

I have to admit but I even don't know what that is supposed to be.
But I run fringe-mode and then selected all. And it is gone. Thanks.
I learned there exists something whose existence I did not know and
whose functionality I also don't gasp.

Thanks

--
I strongly condemn Hamas atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: a strange green line at my left margin in gnus
@ 2023-10-31 16:50   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-31 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "PJ" == Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> I attach a screenshot, but since yesterday evening all my message
>> buffers have a green vertical line at the left margin. I don't recall
>> having changed anything in my gnus setting.

> The issue might arise from the combination of multiple themes. Could you
> kindly try using "M-x disable-theme" to deactivate each theme one at a
> time? After that, you can apply your preferred theme with "M-x
> load-theme" followed by the theme's name.

It seems that calling fringe mode and disabling everything did the trick
(I can't remember to have activated or used it)

Thanks

--

@ 2023-10-31 18:42     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-10-31 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, 31 Oct 2023 at 17:48, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I have to admit but I even don't know what that is supposed to be.

the fringe is a region to the left and right of the buffer text that is
used to indicate things like start and end of file, lines that wrap, and
other miscellaneous things (such as marks in evil-mode).  Gnus uses
these in the summary window to show you which is the current article.
Can be quite useful (it is for me, in any case).

> But I run fringe-mode and then selected all. And it is gone. Thanks.
> I learned there exists something whose existence I did not know and
> whose functionality I also don't gasp.

Probably best to customise the face and make it simply inherit from the
default face instead of removing it completely.

--

@ 2023-11-01  7:06       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-11-01  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tuesday, 31 Oct 2023 at 17:48, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> the fringe is a region to the left and right of the buffer text that is
> used to indicate things like start and end of file, lines that wrap, and
> other miscellaneous things (such as marks in evil-mode).  Gnus uses
> these in the summary window to show you which is the current article.
> Can be quite useful (it is for me, in any case).

> Probably best to customise the face and make it simply inherit from the
> default face instead of removing it completely.

Thanks, I tried that but I failed to find out which variable I need to customise.

--

@ 2023-11-01  9:34         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-11-01  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wednesday,  1 Nov 2023 at 08:06, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Thanks, I tried that but I failed to find out which variable I need to
> customise.

M-x customize-face RET fringe RET

should allow you to change the fringe face.  However, if you are using
themes, this won't override whatever they define for the fringe face.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.1