From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: splitting working now : some issues/questions
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:37:54 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:28:10 +0200 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> 1) to keep Gnus consistent

RR> Thats my whole point : Its not consistent. Some places need it
RR> qualifying others dont. And if you dont it defaults to the current
RR> server.

Sorry, can you tell me where, besides the splitting methods, does Gnus
take an unqualified group name to mean "in the current server"?  I may
very well be wrong but I don't know of such behavior.

>> 3) because it uses the Gnus "move article" facility, which uses
>> qualified names

RR> So it can qualify it before calling that? At least some other vars are
RR> server local.

But if I qualify it, there's no way to pass unqualified group names.
IOW if I really did want to move to the primary server's "foo" group, I
can't do it now because it means "the current server's 'foo' group".

This is the heart of the problem.  If you can solve it, I'm much more in
favor of the change, despite the documentation change and possible
breakage for other spam.el users, because it is sensible.

If I get a bunch more people saying "no, do it Richard's way, even if it
breaks things" then I'll make that change despite my concerns.  That's
the voting I was referring to.  I don't mean your proposal will be
ignored unless there's more votes for it.

>> So while it may be that all the other users have been annoyed by that
>> but kept quiet, it's more likely it's not a big deal.  So unless I hear
>> from more people supporting your view, I'd rather keep the status quo.

RR> Fine if thats the way you see it. The improvements done to Gnus suggest
RR> that "because thats the way its always been" are not the only criteria
RR> under consideration while development and improvements take place.

No, definitely not.  The nnimap.el fixes Lars is doing, for instance,
came about because he asked "what needs work" and IMAP support was at
the top of the list (even though imap.el was not terribly broken).  I
worked on the internal GnuTLS support for Emacs because the Gnus SSL/TLS
connectivity has been a continuous source of bug reports and complaints.
Julien's work was to scratch an itch.  So there's all kinds of reasons.

Ted