* Some Japanese works, some doesn't
@ 2000-03-18  7:16 dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 2000-03-18  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some of the Japanese mail I get looks fine; some doesn't.
The mail that looks like gibberish always comes from the same people.
Yet when I use find-file to read the mail straight from the disk, it
looks fine.

As far as I can tell, the messages that are unreadable always have a
readable subject.

The mode lines for the mails that look fine is the same as that of the
mails that I can't read:  "-J:--"

How can I debug this problem?

Thanks,
Dave

* Re: Some Japanese works, some doesn't
@ 2000-03-18 10:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-18 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

dave-mlist@bfnet.com writes:

> Some of the Japanese mail I get looks fine; some doesn't.
> The mail that looks like gibberish always comes from the same people.
> Yet when I use find-file to read the mail straight from the disk, it
> looks fine.

Type `t' and `C-u g' and look for differences in the headers.  In
particular, look for MIME headers such as Mime-Version and
Content-Type and Content-Transfer-Encoding.

Maybe the gibberish mail doesn't have a Mime-Version header?  Or the
CTE is wrong?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Some Japanese works, some doesn't
@ 2000-03-18 19:32   ` dave-mlist
       [not found]     ` <dave-mlist@bfnet.com>
From: dave-mlist @ 2000-03-18 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Some of the Japanese mail I get looks fine; some doesn't.
>> The mail that looks like gibberish always comes from the same people.
>> Yet when I use find-file to read the mail straight from the disk, it
>> looks fine.

Kai> Maybe the gibberish mail doesn't have a Mime-Version header?  Or the
Kai> CTE is wrong?

As you predicted, the gibberish does not have a Mime-Version header.
Readable mail has lines like this:

There are no such lines in the unreadable mail.

I know that I can't get my correspondents to change their MUAs.  How
can I make gnus recognize the Japanese anyway?  It is readable as
Japanese straight from the disk, so there must be a way!

@ 2000-03-18 23:17     ` Alexandre Oliva
       [not found]     ` <dave-mlist@bfnet.com>
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-03-18 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Großjohann, ding

On Mar 18, 2000, dave-mlist@bfnet.com wrote:

> I know that I can't get my correspondents to change their MUAs.

Sometimes it's not the MUA, but the MTA that filters away these
headers.  Some mailing-list processors do, for example.

> How can I make gnus recognize the Japanese anyway?

You could `E'dit the article and add those header lines.  Or arrange
for some program to do that for you :-)

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaraná, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com

* Re: Some Japanese works, some doesn't
@ 2000-03-19  0:20       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-19  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dave-mlist, ding

Alexandre Oliva <oliva@lsd.ic.unicamp.br> writes:

> You could `E'dit the article

Minor nitpick: you can `e'dit or `E'xpire the article.  Probably Dave
wants the former :-)

kai
--

@ 2000-03-19  0:23       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-19  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

<dave-mlist@bfnet.com> writes:

> I know that I can't get my correspondents to change their MUAs.  How
> can I make gnus recognize the Japanese anyway?  It is readable as
> Japanese straight from the disk, so there must be a way!

There is a variable gnus-default-charset which might help, as well as
a way to set this per group.

Hm.  And I think there's a way to view a message as if it was a
specific charset.  Hm...  [time passes]  Ah, I knew there was a way.
The key `W M c' might do something useful for you.

kai
--

@ 2000-03-19  2:16         ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 2000-03-19  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai> Hm.  And I think there's a way to view a message as if it was a
Kai> specific charset.  Hm...  [time passes]  Ah, I knew there was a way.
Kai> The key `W M c' might do something useful for you.

I just tried that, and it makes the readable messages unreadable, but
it does nothing to the unreadable messages.

Kai> There is a variable gnus-default-charset which might help, as
Kai> well as a way to set this per group.

OK, this looks like what I want...  Is there a straightforward way to
find out what charset I'm looking at?

@ 2000-03-19 18:36       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-19 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

<dave-mlist@bfnet.com> writes:

> Kai> Hm.  And I think there's a way to view a message as if it was a
> Kai> specific charset.  Hm...  [time passes]  Ah, I knew there was a way.
> Kai> The key `W M c' might do something useful for you.
>
> I just tried that, and it makes the readable messages unreadable, but
> it does nothing to the unreadable messages.

Hm.  Does it help if you type `C-u W M c' and choose an appropriate
charset?

kai
--

@ 2000-03-19 21:57         ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 2000-03-19 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai> The key `W M c' might do something useful for you.

>> I just tried that, and it makes the readable messages unreadable, but
>> it does nothing to the unreadable messages.

Kai> Hm.  Does it help if you type `C-u W M c' and choose an appropriate
Kai> charset?

Yes!  I tried C-u W M c iso-2022-jp-unix and I could read the
Japanese.

But then I put

(setq gnus-default-charset 'iso-2022-jp-unix)

in my .gnus file, and evaluated it to make sure.  I ran gnus over
again, but the gibberish mail still looks like gibberish.

How can I automate C-u W M c iso-2022-jp-unix ?

@ 2000-03-19 22:11       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-19 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

<dave-mlist@bfnet.com> writes:

> How can I automate C-u W M c iso-2022-jp-unix ?

I admit that I don't know.  Anyone?

kai
--

@ 2000-03-21  4:38         ` Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 2000-03-21  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dave-mlist, ding

> <dave-mlist@bfnet.com> writes:
>
> > How can I automate C-u W M c iso-2022-jp-unix ?
>
> I admit that I don't know.  Anyone?

(setq gnus-newsgroup-ephemeral-charset 'iso-2022-jp-2)

 Why don't you give it a try ?

The above lisp code works great for me.
(I was taught it by Mr.Yamaoka.)

Hope this helps.
--
Shigeki Uno <mailto:shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>

* Re: Some Japanese works, some doesn't
@ 2000-03-21  7:22           ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 2000-03-21  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Großjohann, ding

SU> (setq gnus-newsgroup-ephemeral-charset 'iso-2022-jp-2)
SU>  Why don't you give it a try ?
SU> The above lisp code works great for me.
SU> (I was taught it by Mr.Yamaoka.)

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!

Works great!

There's one for the FAQ (is there a FAQ?)

Dave

* Is there an RDF interface?
@ 2001-01-11 19:58           ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 2001-01-11 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was playing with the Slashdot back-end, and I was wondering if
anyone has started working on an RDF back-end.  That would be much
more general, wouldn't it?

Dave

* Re: Is there an RDF interface?
@ 2001-01-11 20:13             ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2001-01-11 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

dave-mlist@bfnet.com writes:

> I was playing with the Slashdot back-end, and I was wondering if
> anyone has started working on an RDF back-end.  That would be much
> more general, wouldn't it?

Last this came up, you couldn't access the comments through RDF.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.