* A question about INBOX in IMAP mailboxes
@ 2022-01-07 23:07 Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 2022-01-07 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have a gnus installation where the select method is as such:

    ;;; Select Method
    (setq gnus-select-method
          '(nnimap "localimap"
                    (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                    (nnimap-address "xxxxxxxx.xxx")))

There's nothing special in the group parameters for the INBOX folder,
currently this:

    ((modseq . "6496")
     (uidvalidity . "1374073954")
     (active 1 . 2140)
     (permanent-flags %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Seen %Draft gnus-forward gnus-download %*))

The group activation level is 1.

Mail splitting is currently being handled by sieve, not by Gnus.
However, when sieve leaves a message in INBOX rather than sorting it to
another folder, it does not appear in INBOX using `g'
(gnus-group-get-new-news).  Any mail that stays there does show up if I
use `M-g' (gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic) on the group.  Is these
anything that is special casing INBOX such that `g' doesn't display new
messages for the group?

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)

* Re: A question about INBOX in IMAP mailboxes
@ 2022-01-11 11:11 ` Malcolm Purvis
From: Malcolm Purvis @ 2022-01-11 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Mail splitting is currently being handled by sieve, not by Gnus.
> However, when sieve leaves a message in INBOX rather than
> sorting it to another folder, it does not appear in INBOX using
> `g' (gnus-group-get-new-news).  Any mail that stays there does
> show up if I use `M-g' (gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic) on
> the group.

I see the same behaviour with a server hosted on a local dovecot
server but synced to Gmail via mbsync. When I start Gnus  all new
messages are shown in the INBOX, but new messages from subsequent
syncs are not show until I hit 'M-g' or restart Gnus.  IIRC this
used to work until a few months ago.

Malcolm

--
          Malcolm Purvis <malcolm@purvis.id.au>

* Re: A question about INBOX in IMAP mailboxes
@ 2022-01-24 18:02   ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 2022-01-24 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Malcolm Purvis <malcolm@purvis.id.au> writes:

>> Mail splitting is currently being handled by sieve, not by
>> Gnus. However, when sieve leaves a message in INBOX rather than
>> sorting it to another folder, it does not appear in INBOX using `g'
>> (gnus-group-get-new-news).  Any mail that stays there does show up
>> if I use `M-g' (gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic) on the group.
>
> I see the same behaviour with a server hosted on a local dovecot
> server but synced to Gmail via mbsync. When I start Gnus  all new
> messages are shown in the INBOX, but new messages from subsequent
> syncs are not show until I hit 'M-g' or restart Gnus.  IIRC this used
> to work until a few months ago.

I ended up reporting this.  You can see the resulting discussion in

Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)