* Moving messages from about 100 mbox files to imap server
@ 2015-03-24 10:06 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-03-24 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I have downloaded archives from a mailing list (in mbox format) and
would like to import them into gnus.

Is there any way that I can do this from gnus?

Thanks,

Rainer
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Moving messages from about 100 mbox files to imap server
@ 2015-03-24 10:28 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-03-24 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> I have downloaded archives from a mailing list (in mbox format) and
> would like to import them into gnus.

OK - I converted them into maildir format and now I will put them into
dovecot.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* SOLVED: Moving messages from about 100 mbox files to imap server
@ 2015-03-24 11:06   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-03-24 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have downloaded archives from a mailing list (in mbox format) and
>> would like to import them into gnus.
>
> OK - I converted them into maildir format and now I will put them into
> dovecot.

OK - solved it.

Here my solution:

,----
| 1) I downloaded a script is from
|    [[https://github.com/igor47/mailtools/blob/master/mbox2maildir.py]] and
|    named it =conv.pl=
|
| 2) I run it together with =find= to iterate through all mbox files
|
|    mkdir ./Maildir
|    find . -name "MATCHING_THE_MBOX_FILES" -exec ./conv.pl {} ./Maildir/ \;
|

| 3) The files are created in =./Maildir/new=.
|
| 4) I then moved them to my maildir used by dovecot
|
| mv ./Maildir/new ~/Maildir/TARGETFOLDER/new
`----

And in gnus they showed op as new mails in the maildir.

Cheers,

Rainer

--

@ 2015-03-24 11:08 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2015-03-24 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have downloaded archives from a mailing list (in mbox format) and
> would like to import them into gnus.

> Is there any way that I can do this from gnus?

I've never tried this, but:
 G F <name-of-mbox-file>
should open the mbox file as an ephemeral nndoc group, and then you can
mark and move/copy the articles to a different group (eg. on an IMAP
server).

* Re: Moving messages from about 100 mbox files to imap server
@ 2015-03-24 11:25   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-03-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar writes:

> I've never tried this, but:
>  G F <name-of-mbox-file>
> should open the mbox file as an ephemeral nndoc group, and then you can
> mark and move/copy the articles to a different group (eg. on an IMAP
> server).

I've used that a bunch of times - it has worked well for me.

  Just a data point,

    Adam

--
 "I got into the driver’s seat                                Adam Sjøgren
  And I drove down 42nd Street                           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Moving messages from about 100 mbox files to imap server
@ 2015-03-24 12:06     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-03-24 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> Steinar writes:
>
>> I've never tried this, but:
>>  G F <name-of-mbox-file>
>> should open the mbox file as an ephemeral nndoc group, and then you can
>> mark and move/copy the articles to a different group (eg. on an IMAP
>> server).
>
> I've used that a bunch of times - it has worked well for me.

I am sure that it works (I tried it as well) but it takes ages to open
an mbox file with thousands of emails - so no option if 100 mbx files
are involved.

But I managed using another script (see my other post)

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2015-03-24 13:13       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-03-24 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer writes:

> I am sure that it works (I tried it as well) but it takes ages to open
> an mbox file with thousands of emails - so no option if 100 mbx files
> are involved.

Ahh, I misread - I thought it was one mbox with 100 emails in...

With 100 files, something more automated is definitely preferable.
(Altough in a pinch, a keyboard macro might be doable ;-))

> But I managed using another script (see my other post)

Cool!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Clear? Huh! Why a four-year-old child could                 Adam Sjøgren
  understand this report. Run out and find me a four-year-  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: SOLVED: Moving messages from about 100 mbox files to imap server
@ 2015-03-26  9:52     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-03-26  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding