* Reddit Backend Message Ids
@ 2018-02-13 23:08 Stefan Huchler
From: Stefan Huchler @ 2018-02-13 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I try to make the mmreddit backend of gnus better, I want to make it
possible that gnus can track the viewed messaged so that I can see what
is new and where new posts and comments are:

https://github.com/paul-issartel/nnreddit/issues/6

But I am struggling with implementing it or find the parts I have to
edit. Because its abstracted away you need a good knowledge what is
expected.

As example does the backend need continious ids, or is it ok if its just
numbers and the numbers are unique?

I tried to edit the "nnreddit-make-header" function:
https://github.com/paul-issartel/nnreddit/blob/9843f99d01fd8f1eea2fc685965a7c7f4eeb187a/nnreddit.el#L331

by replacing:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (make-full-mail-header
     id
     clean-title
     clean-author...)
#+end_src

with:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (make-full-mail-header
     (nnreddit-id-to-numberreddit-id)
     clean-title
     clean-author
#+end_src

I think it then detected when a new message/post did happen in a
subreddit, but when I tried to open the group it says "no messages".

It's hard for me to get that figured out alone, I don't think that
should be that hard to fix, but again I hope somebody can assist me and
help me to understand the api of gnus a bit.